Changing the time?

When I was in the US Navy on submarines, when underway we were effectively on an 18 hour day. You'd have 6 hours on watch, 6 hours for maintenance and/or relaxation and 6 hours sleep.

It's a different story when you effectively have no day/night cycle! The few submariners I met in the Navy liked it. Maybe it was the 6 hour watches? I remember getting stuck on 12 hour watches. God, the boredom. And if I were lucky enough to get a female paired with me for watch, they'd call out for "feminine hygiene" or whatever half the time, leaving me on a 12 hour watch alone. I don't miss that!

What I don't understand is why some people are so adamantly opposed to giving people the choice to change the timezone on their ship's display and/or add another display. World of Warcraft lets you choose server time or local time. My phone has 3 time zones displayed on the home screen.

For White Knights, the circumstance at hand is always superior to what the future could bring and, more worry for them, if it were conceded that something could improve muh lady, it would be a terrible dishonor! If it were up to the White Knights, we wouldn't have moved past using sticks for tools.

*"Grug no need stone tool. Grug like stick. Greg know stick, stick work. You want stone cuz you no good with stick.
You no undersrand stick. Greg protect honor of muh stick!"*

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it's proving hard to find any threads...
In the top right corner of the UI is the time. At this moment, it reads 2:03. However, the actual time where I am is 10:03. Is it possible to make the UI display the actual time?

That is the actual time, ED's timezone is UTC.

It’s truly dreadful. I live in GMT +8. When looking at the ship’s clock and wanting to know my local time, I must go through the excruciating anguish of adding eight. I wish I had paid more attention in maths class at school.
I have a clock set to GMT/Z at my desk. :)

-5 GMT/Z CDT here at approximately 90 degrees west. I had all my analog watches set to Z, back in the day...

I wish!

They'd have to come up with a reasonable way to manage 36 hour clocks. Having day and night rotate through your day differently day by day would be a nightmare.
I've had to deal with this in Traveller. The players always revert to ship time- which in most settings is the equivalent of GMT/UCT/Z.

Drat that pesky local time cycle!

When I was in the US Navy on submarines, when underway we were effectively on an 18 hour day. You'd have 6 hours on watch, 6 hours for maintenance and/or relaxation and 6 hours sleep.
Lucky you. When I was enlisted we worked until the airplanes were fixed. So 18-20 work shifts were common (forty years ago).

Read up on the correlation between fatigue, and accidents.

Spacers would stick to ship time, and be annoyed at the locals, and vice versa. There's no fix. Same goes for global scale games.

Top Bottom