Changing the time?

The 24 hour clock is specifically made for use on Earth because of it's specific day/night cycle with our Sun. The truth is that our ship clock is tuned for Earth. So it doesn't matter how far across the galaxy you go, your ship's clock is a local clock for a place far far away.

Your ship clock is based on a galactic clock in the current year 3307.

Your ship is traveling in the year 3307. Not 2021

Date Time.jpg

Don't need a friend, I develop cross-platform apps and have personally implemented timezone options for users on the back and front. It's way down on the list things that take time or brainpower. Waaaay down there.
Even better, you should know where the joke come from :p

The 24 hour clock is specifically made for use on Earth because of it's specific day/night cycle with our Sun
In the year 2021 our clocks are no longer based on the movement of the sun. They haven't been for over 100 years.

Presumably in the year 3307 certain things have carried over from human history. Like the Metric system, a circle has 360deg, and Santa comes on Christmas before 5:00am GMT.

Your ship clock is based on a galactic clock in the current year 3307.

Your ship is traveling in the year 3307. Not 2021

A Galactic 24 hour clock huh? Do fill us in on the 24 hour cycle observed in the galaxy upon which is based.

Presumably in the year 3307 certain things have carried over from human history. Like the Metric system, a circle has 360deg, and Santa comes on Christmas before 5:00am GMT.

The metric system and the geometry of circles are effective galaxy wide.

5am GMT signifies nothing of relevance in most of our own solar system, let alone outside our solar system.

A Galactic 24 hour clock huh? Do fill us in on the 24 hour cycle observed in the galaxy upon which is based.

The metric system and the geometry of circles are effective galaxy wide.

5am GMT signifies nothing of relevance in most of our own solar system, let alone outside our solar system.
As well as ANY time notation. Unless we count ticks from the big bang.

edit: i correct myself. ticks would probably change duration depending on the gravity well. So no, not even that.

If you had a civilisation based on multiple planets you'd probably have one agreed standard time, plus local times based on the speed of rotation of each world.

I mean it's bad enough when you set off in a plane and arrive two hours before you set off. Imagine landing on another world and it's twenty seven o'clock at night as well.

You know how people love their metric system...
Decimal clocks, anyone?

Off the top of my head, I think 60 seconds per minute and 60 minutes per hour comes from the Sumerian base 12/60 counting system – counting 12 finger segments on one hand with the thumb and 5 sets of those on the other hand. Might also explain 12 hours of daytime and 12 hours of nighttime, or morning/evening, as it were.

This is just what I've inferred. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
The 24 hour clock is specifically made for use on Earth because of it's specific day/night cycle with our Sun.

All of our current standardized weights and measures have their origins in simple things on Planet Earth. Because we are from Planet Earth. Most of them including time have been replaced by more accurate methods for standardization. We don't count months by phases of the moon, and we don't use sun dials except in fancy gardens.

Other obvious Planet Earth-based measurements:
  • year: rotation of Earth around sun
  • pressure atm: earth atmosphere at sea level
  • temp scale K: water freezing/boiling point at 1 atm.
  • volume L: water at 1 atm
  • distance AU: distance of sun to Earth

If every planet in year 3307 decides to make their own standards the Pilots Federation will have a tough time with trade missions.

I'll give you another question: how do you arrange an appointment with a (naked) Thargoid?

In this case, we must be careful and give a platform to one critical step in this process to which me must all seek to learn from and grow; Consent. Consent can go self-destruct itself and turn down the rebuy, we're talking alien bug scum here. It's simple; ram into said scum without saying a word, as hard as you can, while staring straight at the parasite filth. You want to force them to understand this ordeal is pleasurable for you. Then just start blasting their outer layers off. That same applies to bug-huggin race traitors.

o7

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LKx
I often use the moon as a sundial of sorts at night when I'm out in the bush, aka barbecuing in the backyard (preferably with a few beers), etc., since the bright side points toward the sun off in the distance on the other side of the Earth.

Just another option if you're not sure what your local time is... 😏

Last edited:
@Greasetrap42 All the things you listed, while developed using Sol relations, are still effectively applicable anywhere the rules of physics are the same.

Clocks are not. Humans must sleep and work in shifts, and all of that must be coordinated. Having a 24 hour clock galaxy wide would mean that 99.99+% of humans would be perpetually out-of-cycle with their actual day and night cycles. The ramifications would land within weeks and be catastrophic.

@Greasetrap42 All the things you listed, while developed using Sol relations, are still effectively applicable anywhere the rules of physics are the same.

Clocks are not. Humans must sleep and work in shifts, and all of that must be coordinated. Having a 24 hour clock galaxy wide would mean that 99.99+% of humans would be perpetually out-of-cycle with their actual day and night cycles. The ramifications would land within weeks and be catastrophic.

Ah, no. look again and think harder this time.
All of these used as a base unit of measurement will be different on a different planet.
Physics stay the same. Pressure at sea level, gravity at sea level, distance from sun, travel time around star, will all be different. Our standards for measurements are based on characteristics found on planet Earth.

Edit:
You can make the same argument regarding the standard calendar year. What each planet does locally for standards of weights & measurements who cares. As members of the Pilots Federation, we follow the galaxy wide standards. The measurement of the galactic year 3307 is based on Planet Earth's rotation. The galactic date (month & day) is based on Earth's calendar. Not some other planet's orbit & rotation.

Last edited:

Does that mean that on a planet with a 36 hours day/night cycle we would get to sleep for 12 hours?

Does that mean that on a planet with a 36 hours day/night cycle we would get to sleep for 12 hours?

I wish!

They'd have to come up with a reasonable way to manage 36 hour clocks. Having day and night rotate through your day differently day by day would be a nightmare.

I wish!

They'd have to come up with a reasonable way to manage 36 hour clocks. Having day and night rotate through your day differently day by day would be a nightmare.

When I was in the US Navy on submarines, when underway we were effectively on an 18 hour day. You'd have 6 hours on watch, 6 hours for maintenance and/or relaxation and 6 hours sleep.

What I don't understand is why some people are so adamantly opposed to giving people the choice to change the timezone on their ship's display and/or add another display. World of Warcraft lets you choose server time or local time. My phone has 3 time zones displayed on the home screen.

When I was in the US Navy on submarines, when underway we were effectively on an 18 hour day. You'd have 6 hours on watch, 6 hours for maintenance and/or relaxation and 6 hours sleep.

What I don't understand is why some people are so adamantly opposed to giving people the choice to change the timezone on their ship's display and/or add another display. World of Warcraft lets you choose server time or local time. My phone has 3 time zones displayed on the home screen.
The current CG finishes at 13th May 3307 @ 06:00 UTC.
If we all had local time then it would cause confusion.

I don't understand why some people are so adamantly opposed to sticking a clock next to the screen if the local time is relevant ;)

Top Bottom