Changing the time?

FD is really missing a bet on this one. A new engineer that would magically give you the ability to tell time correctly.
More grind, more arx sales, YAY!

About time the UK scrapped the clocks going forwards and backwards anyway, I thought they was even thinking about doing it. Apparently it was done I believe for Farmers many moons ago due to crop seasons

What time is it?

It’s game time!
Basically. It is the correct time, UTC, which is the same around the world, often used in servers, etc.
It is not a time zone.

Anyway, most people should know what their time zone is + or - from UTC, if they want local time instead of universal time.

Last edited:
A
About time the UK scrapped the clocks going forwards and backwards anyway, I thought they was even thinking about doing it. Apparently it was done I believe for Farmers many moons ago due to crop seasons
A quick check on wikipedia suggests that the farmers are not to blame. In fact the agricultural sector has been one of the strongest opponents of daylight saving time. Dairy farmers milk their cows at the 'same time' regardless of what the clock says and other farmers work by the sun rather than clock time. Here's a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

They also oppose 'permanent summer time' which does get rid of all the faffing around with clocks but means that sunrise is quite late in winter. For example, where I live, in the east of England the average sunrise time in December is around 08:00 so if permanent summer time was introduced that would change to 09:00. Most people would not consider that where I live is really North (except maybe Londoners). Back in the days of British Rail it was the most northerly station of Network SouthEast.

Good grief. Alll that would need to occur is DISPLAY the time as local. Especially because events in the chat and log are local. Nothing magical there. Events still occur based on the single timezone. OR stop logging chat as local time so at least i have some idea when something in the history really happened.

It’s truly dreadful. I live in GMT +8. When looking at the ship’s clock and wanting to know my local time, I must go through the excruciating anguish of adding eight. I wish I had paid more attention in maths class at school.

Perhaps the in-game is not configurable because it was thought it could be impotant to have standardized times for certain events.

You'd be amazed if you knew how simple it is for developers to allow users to select their timezone.

There are a myriad of games that somehow manage to know how to configure your in-game clock to different time zones, but somehow 1,000+ years in the future we have lost that capability.

Some devs care. Some devs don't.

It's UTC, or GMT (Galactic Mean Time), because, out in the black, would be an hell to adjust it for any local planet/system/gravity well time zone you pass through.

You'd be amazed if you knew how simple it is for developers to allow users to select their timezone.
And you'de be amazed at how often mistakes happen when a group leader says "lets get together at 9:30 Saturday."
AM? PM? Who's Timezone? Adjust for his Daylight Saving? Adjust for my Daylight Saving?
Apparently FDev cares because they made it explicit. No misunderstanding. Easy.

Also, your ship's HUD is represents your ship flying around the galaxy. Not in your local timezone.

And you'de be amazed at how often mistakes happen when a group leader says "lets get together at 9:30 Saturday."
AM? PM? Who's Timezone? Adjust for his Daylight Saving? Adjust for my Daylight Saving?
Apparently FDev cares because they made it explicit. No misunderstanding. Easy.

This is why apps/tech that connect people from afar for communication often have dual, or more, time zones. That's what devs who care do.

Also, your ship's HUD is represents your ship flying around the galaxy. Not in your local timezone.

No, that is wrong. And not just wrong, but the inversion of the truth.

The 24 hour clock is specifically made for use on Earth because of it's specific day/night cycle with our Sun. The truth is that our ship clock is tuned for Earth. So it doesn't matter how far across the galaxy you go, your ship's clock is a local clock for a place far far away. It's as non-sensical as it can get for spacecraft, and would be a total disaster for a civilization spread across even a few solar systems considering a 24 hour clock isn't even useful locally on any planet in our very own solar system besides earth.

But the hilarity that is the concept of cross-galaxy craft using 24 hour clocks isn't the point here. It's simply that people want the clock to function as a clock without having to do math for it to be useful.

Find a friend who develops cellphones apps, and ask him how he feels about earth timezones...

Don't need a friend, I develop cross-platform apps and have personally implemented timezone options for users on the back and front. It's way down on the list things that take time or brainpower. Waaaay down there.

Top Bottom