Changing the time?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it's proving hard to find any threads...
In the top right corner of the UI is the time. At this moment, it reads 2:03. However, the actual time where I am is 10:03. Is it possible to make the UI display the actual time?

ED's server tick relies on the UK timezone. It's BST or GMT... Whatever the hell they use.

I don't think there's an option to change the display in-game, unless there's a mod for it.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it's proving hard to find any threads...
In the top right corner of the UI is the time. At this moment, it reads 2:03. However, the actual time where I am is 10:03. Is it possible to make the UI display the actual time?
Nice avatar pic 🍿

I don't think there's an option to change the display in-game, unless there's a mod for it.
There's always this mod...
Picture of laptop and clock

(also includes bonus Elite: Dangerous Cmdr Data Files, i.e. paper & pencil)

It's the usual time. I use UTC for my other hobbies as well. Also it makes sense, when you team up with others you can agree on a time everyone has and knows. Maybe that's the reason why aviation uses it.

ED's server tick relies on the UK timezone. It's BST or GMT... Whatever the hell they use.
They don't use English/British GMT time zone for the clock displayed in ships. When it changes... like now to British Summer time in the UK (clocks go forward an hour) - the clock in the game is an hour behind. It only shows the correct time for British users when the clocks go back an hours again in Winter

I think they use UTC for the clock

Last edited:
Perhaps the in-game is not configurable because it was thought it could be impotant to have standardized times for certain events. Its actually a pretty good idea for future planning to incorporate only one standard time in the game.

Standardized time/date for events, accomplishments, and screenshots. It makes sense. I wish we used a standardized time IRL. It would simplify lots of things. Travel schedules, meeting times, events, etc.

They don't use English/British GMT time zone for the clock displayed in ships. When it changes... like now to British Summer time in the UK (clocks go forward an hour) - the clock in the game is an hour behind. It only shows the correct time for British users when the clocks go back an hours again in Winter

I think they use UTC for the clock
UTC is GMT.

Perhaps the in-game is not configurable because it was thought it could be impotant to have standardized times for certain events. Its actually a pretty good idea for future planning to incorporate only one standard time in the game.

Standardized time/date for events, accomplishments, and screenshots. It makes sense. I wish we used a standardized time IRL. It would simplify lots of things. Travel schedules, meeting times, events, etc.

OK, that's great. But I eat lunch, go shopping and go to sleep on local time, not UTC. I have UTC and Manila time zone clocks on the home screen of my phone, but the lock screen shows local time, because that's the time I actually use 99.9% of the time. There are a myriad of games that somehow manage to know how to configure your in-game clock to different time zones, but somehow 1,000+ years in the future we have lost that capability.

OK, that's great. But I eat lunch, go shopping and go to sleep on local time, not UTC. I have UTC and Manila time zone clocks on the home screen of my phone, but the lock screen shows local time, because that's the time I actually use 99.9% of the time. There are a myriad of games that somehow manage to know how to configure your in-game clock to different time zones, but somehow 1,000+ years in the future we have lost that capability.
It's because the universe is persistent and runs in real time, by using a single time zone it makes it easier for everyone in game. It's GMT because the devs are in the UK, just be thankful they don't adjust for British Summer Time as now we're actually an hour ahead (y);)

Top Bottom