Celebrating 35 years of Elite!

With minimal activity in exploration without sell data you can get 1 ARX
Yup. I'm far out in the galaxy, on the other side of SagA*, and I've made over 40 arx just by exploring, scanning, etc, and not even go to a station. I really like that we can earn them, buy and change livery, all that is great. It's something I suspect many of us have been wanting for a long time. But, I just wish the old webstore still existed so it was easy to check out new stuff without starting the game. If not for buying, at least have them available for browsing.

Fav memory of playing the Original ED. - Getting Jumped by the two contacts that come in at 12Oclock for you, Having to dock before they killed you, Having to hold down (i think) the Z key to match the roll of the station to get in the letter box. (docking in the new ED is so easy!)
Worse memory, trying to get it load on a Speccy 48K using a tape recorder

CMD MERYN TRANT

CMDR Guessburden

My abiding memory of the original game (Spectrum version) was the elation I felt when the damned Lenslok security system let me play the game. Spent ages, as instructed, bringing the outer lines in further & further, until they lined up with the edges of the Lok, only to be told, “Nah, wrong code.”
My dad figured out it was much easier to read the code on the screen if you didn’t bring the lines in!

Hi Commanders,

I am Cmdr Wheeler. I remember back in time when I met with the game Elite on an Enterprise 128k watching it on a black and white 24 cm screen Junost soviet TV mid of the '80s. Every time I played the game I heard the '78 version of album of the War of the Worlds (you know, H.G.Wells). Never forget those ages.
Later in '90s I saw the Elite game as Frontier on Amiga which made in colourful and the ships were drawn not just by lines like before and you could land on cloudy planets, etc. I have never played with this version though.
And a couple of years ago when I met a news about the new ED version, wasn't a question that I will have the game. I went to an IT guru guy who built a PC for me considering the ED's requirements topped around two generation steps for the later game developments. So my PC bult up for ED with its 8 core processor, Nvidia gForce card, etc. During the time I bought a TrackIr 5 and a Saitek x52 flight control sytem for better playing of ED. While we haven't story missions my goal in the game to get the Imperial Cutter, improve it by engineers for long journey and I would like to explore the galaxy with it. I know an explorer ship is good enough for that but I need at least a fighter pilot to don't feel the lonelyness far from the human habitated space. I've played solo mode only and I haven't friends who could join to this plan.
Because I tried to avoid fights I take money mostly with charter routes. So I haven't mentionable moments just a couple: Once when I got an alien artifact into my cargo a stronger NPC pirate ship chased me during systems while my ship become totally scrap and rotated helplessly. He didn't destroy me (he was satisfied when my ship was totally dead) so I had to selfdestroyed my ship. Another time I searched a place by coordinates on a planet when NPC ships attacked my rover. I ran below my ship but they continously shooted my ship as well. It happened just in a few second so I haven't time to think. I don't want to loose my ship because after that I could be the next in my rover so I took on board and tried to take off but my ship's systems badly damaged by then so I died close to the surface. The last case I remember when I tried to improve my money and rank as a bounty hunter so I found a mining field in a planet ring and wait for the pirates who want to attack the mining ships. Once an area was full of a little bit stonger ships and I had to escape before they could have been killed me. My canopy glass was broken my life system was countdown from 15 mins. In this time I had to find and land on a station without navigation system because my ship can't show any navigation points on a broken glass ahead me just on a little part of it. I heard my breath I felt the squeeze of the time and the pressure to stay alive in the dark endless cosmos. I really felt how tiny and microscopic I am considering the space around me. At the end I could barely land on a nearest space station just in time.
Good fly out there

Hi Commanders,

I am Cmdr Wheeler. I remember back in time when I met with the game Elite on an Enterprise 128k watching it on a black and white 24 cm screen Junost soviet TV mid of the '80s. Every time I played the game I heard the '78 version of album of the War of the Worlds (you know, H.G.Wells). Never forget those ages.
Later in '90s I saw the Elite game as Frontier on Amiga which made in colourful and the ships were drawn not just by lines like before and you could land on cloudy planets, etc. I have never played with this version though.
And a couple of years ago when I met a news about the new ED version, wasn't a question that I will have the game. I went to an IT guru guy who built a PC for me considering the ED's requirements topped around two generation steps for the later game developments. So my PC bult up for ED with its 8 core processor, Nvidia gForce card, etc. During the time I bought a TrackIr 5 and a Saitek x52 flight control sytem for better playing of ED. While we haven't story missions my goal in the game to get the Imperial Cutter, improve it by engineers for long journey and I would like to explore the galaxy with it. I know an explorer ship is good enough for that but I need at least a fighter pilot to don't feel the lonelyness far from the human habitated space. I've played solo mode only and I haven't friends who could join to this plan.
Because I tried to avoid fights I take money mostly with charter routes. So I haven't mentionable moments just a couple: Once when I got an alien artifact into my cargo a stronger NPC pirate ship chased me during systems while my ship become totally scrap and rotated helplessly. He didn't destroy me (he was satisfied when my ship was totally dead) so I had to selfdestroyed my ship. Another time I searched a place by coordinates on a planet when NPC ships attacked my rover. I ran below my ship but they continously shooted my ship as well. It happened just in a few second so I haven't time to think. I don't want to loose my ship because after that I could be the next in my rover so I took on board and tried to take off but my ship's systems badly damaged by then so I died close to the surface. The last case I remember when I tried to improve my money and rank as a bounty hunter so I found a mining field in a planet ring and wait for the pirates who want to attack the mining ships. Once an area was full of a little bit stonger ships and I had to escape before they could have been killed me. My canopy glass was broken my life system was countdown from 15 mins. In this time I had to find and land on a station without navigation system because my ship can't show any navigation points on a broken glass ahead me just on a little part of it. I heard my breath I felt the squeeze of the time and the pressure to stay alive in the dark endless cosmos. I really felt how tiny and microscopic I am considering the space around me. At the end I could barely land on a nearest space station just in time.
Good fly out there
Enterprise 128k! Now that was an exotic machine, with some fancy graphics capabilities, built in joystick and 128 KB ram, twice the ram of a C64 (y) Didn't get as hot as a Lynx 48K as far as I remember, but still toasty. Oh the sweet memories of those early computer days.

CMDR HOOPLAH on PC.

"A Spacer's Journal" c1996 written by George Hooper. It is amazing that 23 years later I still have the same emotions for this game in ED.

It's been a long five years since first making that nervous exit from Old Curie on Hope. How odd it seems that winning the Wiccan Ware race was so exciting. So many adventures have passed across the displays of my control cabin since then.

The journey is always the most exciting in the opening of a new career in space. The first few flights to get your flying skills adapted to the perils of space, making some modest credits at first. Then buying that first upgrade ship, the Viper, and watching the credits mount as your cargo capacity and combat skills increase.

Many a new spacer has dreamed of fame and glory, only to be a wisp of laser light from an exploding ship in their rush to success. The old spacers got that way by being careful, knowing when to fight, when to run, and respecting the real power of the universe they travel. It's a simple axiom that one cannot properly fight without good shields and effective weapons, and getting the credits to buy them requires the tedious journeys in the not so safer trade routes. A patience that is rewarded with the tools of the trade.

But above all the equipment and credits, experience is the commodity to which no price can be placed. Knowing the gravity wells around Bernard's Star, how ship size will effect a lateral high G turn, the right combination of hull size, shield strength, and laser mounts for combat. All of this, and a hundred more lessons to be learned in the coldness of space. Mistakes are tolerated only once. Profit usually wins over mercy in the space lanes.

A year passes and I'm still alive, so I guess that is what really matters in the credit counts of the day. The Panther Clipper "paid the way " in both credits and kills, with its time now past. The fast Eagle Mk III now rules the space lanes, carrying military traffic to distant systems. How fast time travels now with speed at a touch of the powerful main thrusters. The first unnerving runs with pirates closing fast are now almost amusing, as my flying skills lead them on to futility, while I peacefully dock at the next port of call.

Two years in the books. The lines of space aging are distinct in the face before me. The sparkle in the eye reflects the knowledge of the universe and my surroundings. Quietly I make improvements to my Rank and Ratings, as the 4 Mw Beam on my new ship is very effective in the right hands.

The Thargoids are here! But I knew this meeting was inevitable. Too many legends, too much press, it was only a matter of time, and the crossing of paths, before I would face the horror, and the wonder, of the adventure before me. Jo Merion tried, but too much desire, and not enough wisdom, was her downfall. Only experience, careful decisions, and effective control of my surroundings will help me now...

Three years, and my Thargoid War Ship rules the space lanes. My ranking to Commodore is only a heartbeat away, and the Elite Federation of Pilots awaits. Many more wonders and unusual systems have passed across my eyes, many more to come.

Then to be ELITE - not just a kill rating on some distant GalCom computer, but a combination of thought, actions, tools, and a way of life in a universe containing both wonders and adversity. Living on the edge of reality, putting it all on the line, again and again, in a lifestyle that is challenging and rewarding. Respect and praise comes to those who make Elite. They become one with the universe, in command of their surroundings, while the universe moves them onward to their ultimate destiny.

Today I enter the dimly lit cabin. The palm print ID activates the controls and the CRT glows warmly once again. The Pentuim II processors activate, and the hum of the engines, similar to a hard disk drive in ancient times, provides the security of knowing the power is there and ready to use. I check the GalCop for current credit ratings, then check the personal messages on the A.F.E. board. Alas, another new spacer ready for adventure, without the patience to survive it. Then the comments from those Elite, with the same twinkle in their eye...It's a good day to fly...

Last edited:
Favourite Elite Dangerous memory:

Wow - I suppose there are many, but similar - that moment when I simply stop playing the game and soak up the amazing visuals and sounds. The faint creaking of the ship under heavy loads, the ice forming on the cockpit after I drop a heatsink, and just boggling my little mind out at some magnificent eye candy.

An honourable mention must also go to Normal Lovett as Holly COVAS. 'They're dead Dave. They're all dead...'

Top job FDev - happy burpday!

My favourite BBC Elite moment was the joy I felt when I did a bit of soldering to get a pair of analogue joysticks to work in game - docking had never been so easy!

And I still have all the kit today:

You fry them. ;)
EH! With all your ship, I remember! :LOL: Oh, and your cargo as well!
Wouldn't it be great if FD should reintroduce them?

As well as the mis-jumps! Ah, I still have some rage throwbacks thinking at those times when the engine failed me and I popped back in euclidean space in the middle of nowhere!

That was REALLY dangerous! And there were no fuel rats to grab you by the hair! ;)

Favourite Elite Dangerous memory:

Wow - I suppose there are many, but similar - that moment when I simply stop playing the game and soak up the amazing visuals and sounds. The faint creaking of the ship under heavy loads, the ice forming on the cockpit after I drop a heatsink, and just boggling my little mind out at some magnificent eye candy.

An honourable mention must also go to Normal Lovett as Holly COVAS. 'They're dead Dave. They're all dead...'

Top job FDev - happy burpday!

My favourite BBC Elite moment was the joy I felt when I did a bit of soldering to get a pair of analogue joysticks to work in game - docking had never been so easy!

And I still have all the kit today:

Brilliant, snap including the inlay (y) Mine's too dusty for a pic right now though!

35 Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Jobs
The competition will run from now until 23 September (11:00 UTC) and winners will be contacted by 25 September (11:00 UTC). With the aid of the Elite Dangerous development team, our top 35 favourite comments will be rewarded with the Paint Job.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS (FORUM/STEAM)
  • The competition closes on Monday 23 September (2019) at 11:00 UTC.
  • The winners will be announced by Wednesday 25 September (2019) and prizes will be credited directly to the winner's account.
So, this is finished now and where's the list of winning entries? Or, was it extended?

[Edit: Posted 11:09 UTC 250919, winners should all be chosen and notified by now.]

Last edited:
My favourite ED moment (and indeed one of my all time favourite gaming moments) is being the supremely lucky winner in a SpecialEffect Christmas charity raffle of a custom paint job. Technically it wasn't the best prize on offer, but to me it was the best one. And it was great fun to do, even if it took a while.

Zac introduced me to Tjaart, one of the senior designers, and we went back and forth via email whenever he had time - sometimes it was more than a month apart. The entire process took 8-9 months, as there were many assets to be created for 2.2 and 2.3 and this was additional work for him whenever he could squeeze it in. And he took it all in his stride - great guy, and if you're reading this, thanks again Tjaart!

I started by giving him a dozen reference designs from links and images - anything from classic sci-fi stuff like Robotech jets, racing car liveries, WWI dazzle schemes, even crazy looking meteorites. I didn't have much cash in game, and not that many ships. I couldn't afford a large ship, so in the end I chose my FAS.

Based on these, Tjaart narrowed it down to six designs, which he initially based on an FGS instead of an FAS, getting the two confused - oops 😄 I would happily have all of these!

I gave my preferences and various suggestions, and the final design began to emerge. There were obstacles outside of our control too - for example, the production team rejected some versions because we exceeded the game engine's colour limit for ship models. And then certain colours, such as teal, in effect became dark green, so different to what we intended. The final version became a mix of Design 2, with some detailing from Design 4.

I wanted to incorporate a logo from a new player group I had joined at the time - but this large flat texture didn't map well into the rest of the skin. These ended up being far more practical as decals - a bonus for me as I could then use them on other ships!

I received the paint job with 2.2, and the decals with 2.3 for various technical reasons. Combined all that with a Canonn decal, and been happy ever since!

CMDR Octofox o7

Attachments

But that's not all! Alongside this octagonal interloper, we've got 35 Cobra MK III Classic Wireframe Paint Jobs to give away. To be in with the chance to win one of these Paint Jobs, all you need to do is reply to this thread, telling us about your favourite memory playing one of the Elite games. Don't forget to include your Commander Name to be eligible to win!

The competition will run from now until 23 September (11:00 UTC) and winners will be contacted by 25 September (11:00 UTC). With the aid of the Elite Dangerous development team, our top 35 favourite comments will be rewarded with the Paint Job.
It's 53 minutes past 11:00 GMT (UTC), right? Are the results out yet? Will we get to know the winners, or will the results be private?

we already know who the losers are. all those who contributed to yet another idiotic pr campaign for a lousy paint job.
Well, I only know one loser for sure, but it would be nice to know who won so I could filter out the best memories to read. There's just too many pages to go through. I can only imagine how difficult it was for the judges to go through all that stuff. That if they didn't skip most of the posts (I probably would).

It's 53 minutes past 11:00 GMT (UTC), right? Are the results out yet? Will we get to know the winners, or will the results be private?
Correct, UTC = GMT but, England is currently in British Summer Time, BST = GMT+1.

The Elite servers appear to run in a permanent UTC state, ignoring seasonal changes.

[Edit: I read all 40 pages of entries before posting mine in, two minutes before closing.]

Last edited:
Top Bottom