Carriers: good or bad for fuel rats?

Pro: carrier owners can call on their FC for rescue instead of pestering the fuel rats.
Con: fuel rats will get called on to rescue stranded carriers?

The way these are set up, I'd argue it all good for large organized groups. Consider they are accessible on all platforms too.
I do expect a COUPLE of stranded FC situations in year 1 just due to how they are set up.

These truly should be squadron only items.
There should also be another version that is solo based with far less options and different functionality as well as not showing up on the map.

I think that it will be good for Fuel Ratting.
In particular, I am thinking that the DSSA initiative is going to be particularly helpful as it will put a lot more carriers out in the black that fuel rats can be used as a base of operations for any rescue.

It is potentially feasible that a save could be just 16 minutes away if a stricken commander is within 500 ly of a Fleet carrier.

Tougher perhaps on the Hull Seals than the Fuel Rats. After all, if you've run out of fuel you've run out of fuel, even if your carrier is parked round another moon of the same planet.

But if you're down to 1% Hull and your carrier - or anyone's carrier - is nearby, just go there and get your hull repaired.

Tougher perhaps on the Hull Seals than the Fuel Rats. After all, if you've run out of fuel you've run out of fuel, even if your carrier is parked round another moon of the same planet.

But if you're down to 1% Hull and your carrier - or anyone's carrier - is nearby, just go there and get your hull repaired.
Considering the statement "out of fuel", how often does one reach 0 fuel where a low wake jump is not possible? My experience has been a cmdr doesn't have enough fuel to reach the next system containing a refuel station.

I think that it will be good for Fuel Ratting.
In particular, I am thinking that the DSSA initiative is going to be particularly helpful as it will put a lot more carriers out in the black that fuel rats can be used as a base of operations for any rescue.

It is potentially feasible that a save could be just 16 minutes away if a stricken commander is within 500 ly of a Fleet carrier.
There are no vermin exterminator out in the black, so rats on a carrier can lead to troubles ;)

Considering the statement "out of fuel", how often does one reach 0 fuel where a low wake jump is not possible? My experience has been a cmdr doesn't have enough fuel to reach the next system containing a refuel station.
I can see a scenario where someone takes a carrier out into the black without Refuel because all their exploration ships have fuel scoops; and they bring a miner and it doesn't have a fuel scoop to maximise space for limpets, but that's OK because they'll borrow one from one of the exploration ships when it's needed.

But once they're out there the first time they think about refuelling their miner is when they run out of fuel in the middle of a ring.

But surely people aren't that stupid?

No, surely not. :rolleyes:

I think it'll be good for fuel rats. They now have the option to rescue carriers as well as players. Plus they could have their own fuel rat carrier going on the big events and use it as a base.

A little off-topic, but I agree completely. Just something to carry my fleet, with repair/restock/refuel and ability to store modules.
Swinging it back on topic with this idea tho...there would be no question if these would be good for groups like the fuel rats if there were personal variants that let’s pretend were simply large utility ships.

Refuel not just docked shops but that also had adder sized refuel, repair, restock ships the owner could disperse with paid NPC crew.

The other part would allow the owner to carry maybe 3 of their ships and still have the 500 Ly jump range maybe using 5 of some combination of existing fuel and possibly other materials that already exist that aren’t used and only sold to stations.

These things would be able to attach to a fleet carrier. To me that’s the game changer.

for groups like fuel rats, hull seals carriers are a good thing, offers more flexibility by letting them park a resupply base out in the middle of nowhere^2

Rescuing a ship in space costs time and effort for the Rat involved, but very little cost for the fuel getting there and the actual refuelling.
Now when is comes rescuing a Fleet Carrier out near beagle point and the owner hasn't got any mining ships with them.. How are the Rats going to sort that out..??

And you know it's going to happen.!

Rescuing a ship in space costs time and effort for the Rat involved, but very little cost for the fuel getting there and the actual refuelling.
Now when is comes rescuing a Fleet Carrier out near beagle point and the owner hasn't got any mining ships with them.. How are the Rats going to sort that out..??

And you know it's going to happen.!
A fuel rat with a carrier?

pretty sure its 135 trit per 500LY jump.

Either way whatever comes up, I am sure fuel rats will focus the power of their pure awesomeness and get it done :p

pretty sure its 135 trit per 500LY jump.

Either way whatever comes up, I am sure fuel rats will focus the power of their pure awesomeness and get it done :p
My current Jump is taking 193 tritium for a 490ly jump.. but a fully loaded FC with all sevices installed and carrying a full tank (isn't that 19100 trit) consumes more fuel for the same jump distance.

As to the fuel rats getting the job done, that was never questioned! (y)

Top Bottom