Carriers - a plea to Frontier from a lowly miners perspective

Carrier is a Capital ship and new content that will undoubtedly steer the game in a new direction (if it links into new era). It should take effort, planning, logistics and resources to take it around the galaxy. If you want to see the galaxy, you can always buy an Anaconda.
Is a Carrier really a Capital Ship though? Capital Ships are used for military purposes but Fleet Carriers aren't. Personally, I see them as mobile bases.

that is just your opinion, as if it was not enough effort to have obtained the money ... 🤷‍♂️
it is a "game", but if you want effort, planning, logistics and resources, any simulator can help you, there are already enough heavy tasks in the game , and now the carrier management screen .... why are you so masochistic? you have nothing else to do but play elite? Doing any activity already takes 1 hour just jumping like a fool before you start doing anything ...

Sometimes this community is frustrating 🤦‍♂️
I totally agree. I never understand why people want to make the game harder. They're sometimes the same people that complain about grind.

Please note OP, I'm not saying you're one of those people, so no offence is intended. I'm just speaking as it were.

that is just your opinion, as if it was not enough effort to have obtained the money ... 🤷‍♂️
it is a "game", but if you want effort, planning, logistics and resources, any simulator can help you, there are already enough heavy tasks in the game , and now the carrier management screen .... why are you so masochistic? you have nothing else to do but play elite? Doing any activity already takes 1 hour just jumping like a fool before you start doing anything ...

Sometimes this community is frustrating 🤦‍♂️
I totally agree. I never understand why people want to make the game harder. They're sometimes the same people that complain about grind.

Please note OP, I'm not saying you're one of those people, so no offence is intended. I'm just speaking as it were.
Over the years this game has often been accused of being a mile wide but only an inch deep. Thats a derogatory term justified by the features frontier add to the game as they've often been simplistic shallow gimmicks. Always have been. Now for the first time they've added some hardware that requires other gameplay loops to get the best out of it. It requires mining, hauling, market management, and planing. Its not just the next ship in the line of new ships added that require none of that. Its...a..capital...ship.

Carriers are far from perfect but they are at least a step in the right direction of making new content a little bit deeper and interactive. Frontier could have easily made this the Anaconda mk 2 as someone pointed out, making it need nothing to sustain it, no fuel, made it cheap and easy, giving it 1 minute hyperspace cool down, 10000 ly range. but that would have been yet more content thats a mile wide an inch deep, and only appeals to the cotton wool brigade. So why don't you give Frontier a chance. This is content thats bound to be a precursor for the new era. Lets at least give them until then to flesh out what is likely to be only the first iteration of carriers.

"Sometimes this community is frustrating". it certainly is. They whine and moan and ask for the game and its features to be dumbed down whenever frontier try something new. Then they wonder why its such a shallow experience. I'm not a miner but even I see the potential gameplay capital ship logistics is bringing to the game for a whole lot of other playstyles and people, some like the op, who can't afford one but is still going to be able to part of the experience and vital to making them work.

Over the years this game has often been accused of being a mile wide but only an inch deep. Thats a derogatory term justified by the features frontier add to the game as they've often been simplistic shallow gimmicks. Always have been. Now for the first time they've added some hardware that requires other gameplay loops to get the best out of it. It requires mining, hauling, market management, and planing. Its not just the next ship in the line of new ships added that require none of that. Its...a..capital...ship.

Carriers are far from perfect but they are at least a step in the right direction of making new content a little bit deeper and interactive. Frontier could have easily made this the Anaconda mk 2 as someone pointed out, making it need nothing to sustain it, no fuel, made it cheap and easy, giving it 1 minute hyperspace cool down, 10000 ly range. but that would have been yet more content thats a mile wide an inch deep, and only appeals to the cotton wool brigade. So why don't you give Frontier a chance. This is content thats bound to be a precursor for the new era. Lets at least give them until then to flesh out what is likely to be only the first iteration of carriers.

"Sometimes this community is frustrating". it certainly is. They whine and moan and ask for the game and its features to be dumbed down whenever frontier try something new. Then they wonder why its such a shallow experience. I'm not a miner but even I see the potential gameplay capital ship logistics is bringing to the game for a whole lot of other playstyles and people, some like the op, who can't afford one but is still going to be able to part of the experience and vital to making them work.
This
/thread

Have you seen all the whinge posts about having to mine tritium?
One of those could easily be mine. I actually like the fact you need (can) to mine, but the fun in mining depends on quantity a lot.

My perspective may be slightly off as I only mined occasionally but boy, everything beyond 15-20 units that need to be mined is grinding in my view. I can't imagine having to mine a single carrier fuel injection so if I ever get one, it will go as far as bought fuel will take it. Sadly each explorer's carrier will need its own mining community.

But you're describing a station.

Is a Carrier really a Capital Ship though? Capital Ships are used for military purposes but Fleet Carriers aren't. Personally, I see them as mobile bases.
If someone uses a FC for military purposes, does it become a capital ship for that player, but a mobile station for those not using it militarily?

If someone uses a FC for military purposes, does it become a capital ship for that player, but a mobile station for those not using it militarily?
To which combat zone's are you going to fly your carrier to, in order to engage the enemy?

A Capital ship is the head of your fleet and can do the above. A Fleet carrier carries your fleet, with a few add-ons.

I honestly don't understand the argument.

To which combat zone's are you going to fly your carrier to, in order to engage the enemy?

A Capital ship is the head of your fleet and can do the above. A Fleet carrier carries your fleet, with a few add-ons.

I honestly don't understand the argument.
Not trying to argue, just want to understand the terms. I missed the part of the capital ship definition that required it to share the instance in conflict zones. By that definition I agree with you.

One of those could easily be mine. I actually like the fact you need (can) to mine, but the fun in mining depends on quantity a lot.

My perspective may be slightly off as I only mined occasionally but boy, everything beyond 15-20 units that need to be mined is grinding in my view. I can't imagine having to mine a single carrier fuel injection so if I ever get one, it will go as far as bought fuel will take it. Sadly each explorer's carrier will need its own mining community.
Which mining methods were you using? If only lasering, yes, it would be atrociously tedious. But mining Rocket Tea with SSD and Abrasion Blaster, both of which require learning techniques to deal with the various types of asteroids encountered, is much more demanding and immersive. If core Triitum is added, that will complete the mining suite options, and will put those first 20T in the first ten minutes (or less) of actual mining.

Which mining methods were you using? If only lasering, yes, it would be atrociously tedious. But mining Rocket Tea with SSD and Abrasion Blaster, both of which require learning techniques to deal with the various types of asteroids encountered, is much more demanding and immersive. If core Triitum is added, that will complete the mining suite options, and will put those first 20T in the first ten minutes (or less) of actual mining.
I agree, core mining is fun, loved the trip into that. Yet, I can't imagine needing to mine hundreds of units for every jump... Tens, ok... hundreds, no way.

I think mining tritium is possibly a mistake.
They should have you all collect lithium and drop it into a breeder reactor on the Carrier where is it processed to form Tritium.
But that's just me wanting to put some Science in ED's Sci-Fi
Whereas I like the idea of mining tritium directly from asteroids, the above quote is spot on with regards to the manufacturing of tritium.
Cant argue with physics !!

Have to say i'm in the opposite camp. I want refuel requirements as low as possible. Or at least no more than an hour's mining per jump to be made, although less is better in my eyes.

I want to go exploring in mine and don't want to spend many hours mining to keep making jumps.

People might disagree, fine, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and preferences right?

People might disagree, fine, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and preferences right?
How does the existence of this thread invalidate your entitlement to your own opinions and preferences?
I mean the OP Is allow to discuss their own opinions and preferences right?
And you are not even the first poster to have a different opinion to the OP.

Way also so passive aggressive?

I think mining tritium is possibly a mistake.
They should have you all collect lithium and drop it into a breeder reactor on the Carrier where is it processed to form Tritium.
But that's just me wanting to put some Science in ED's Sci-Fi

We already can mine Lepidolite

So one could even add a layer.

Buy the Tritium for immediate use
&/Or
Buy the Lithium and have your Fleet Carrier process it to Tritium over time
&/Or
Mine the Lepidolite and have your Fleet Carrier refine that to Lithium to then process it to Tritium over time

Add Reactor and refinery upgrade as one feels necesary

I want to go exploring in mine and don't want to spend many hours mining to keep making jumps.
An Anaconda may be the thing you're looking for. And if you really must go visit the few places a conda cant reach, hitch a ride on someone's carrier who doesn't mind doing the mining to reap the benefits that owing one gives.

--- and for what its worth the OP has had more positive rep than nearly any other thread on this forum. I'm happy that the silent majority are in agreement with him and hope FD listen.

No more dumbing down of Carriers, please!

How does the existence of this thread invalidate your entitlement to your own opinions and preferences?
I mean the OP Is allow to discuss their own opinions and preferences right?
And you are not even the first poster to have a different opinion to the OP.

Way also so passive aggressive?
Just wanted to get ahead of the people telling me i'm wrong ;)

An Anaconda may be the thing you're looking for. And if you really must go visit the few places a conda cant reach, hitch a ride on someone's carrier who doesn't mind doing the mining to reap the benefits that owing one gives.
Ugh no. I did beagle point in an Anaconda and i swore off ever travelling a long distace in one again. Terrible for supercruise, terrible for landing.

The Asp will be my scanning ship and the Dropship my SRV carrier.

Top Bottom