Bug/Gameplay Issues List

I've been compiling these as I go along like I did during the beta, so it's time to mass dump it here. I'll edit it as it goes and add/remove as necessary

this feedback is entirely based off gameplay in franchise mode. I have not tried other modes much

ISSUES:

• an inbreeding mechanic, but no??? family????? trEE??
  • zoo income will slow and eventually begin to dip. when looking for the source I discovered I'm making practically no donation money vs earlier patches and beta. I also seem to be hemorrhaging money on animal food when using grade 1 food.
  • guest needs in heat screen vs average guest needs not matching up/making sense
  • needs of animal wellfare never seem to match to what they will interact with in realtime. for example, needing several food enrichment when they barely use one
  • some animal needs are strange, like my tortoises who can't walk across their habitat in an in game year needing a significant amount of space, and then half of it needing to be hard shelter
  • keepers not filling food trays. keepers will prioritize filling enrichment items, and ignore other items unless the game decides there are enough animals that it needs to fill the food tray. I no longer put food enrichment in my habitats to circumvent this.
  • keepers not filling food trays but placing food on the ground. I'm not sure what causes it, but moving the tray only works when I find the specific spot that my keeper decides is the best spot for it to be. EDIT this is with no enrichment items in the habitat, with no food in the bowls. they are leaving the food bowls empty and placing food on the ground.
  • guests vandalize, but there is no way to find what they've vandalized besides manually looking (aka a pain in my butt)
  • animals I've bred in my zoo sometimes say they're from other zoos. fixes after a restart
  • you can't select multiple animals in the trading tab to drop them into your habitats quicker (yet it's a feature in career mode?)
  • some animal pack limits make no sense. african wild dogs can have large packs, yet the zoopedia says 6 max. wolves have huge family packs, but will kill each other upon growing (though we've all heard a lot about this by now tbh). lion prides can have multiple males. etc. as of 1.0.2 this has been tweaked, but not right yet.
  • even when on top of it and with (the blessed addition of) notifications, animals still grow and immediately begin fighting, as it's their first directive in adulthood. please give us a small time buffer before they try to challenge alpha status and/or change how fighting works. most animals in the wild do not fight each other to the death for dominance.
  • random framerate issues despite having a rig that can play RDR2 on high?
  • trading center is still immensely laggy
  • time passes too fast. the number of issues it causes is staggering, but it's been petitioned on here more than anything else so I don't need to bother lmao
  • inspector often entirely wrong, saying all my animals are starving when they're fat and happy
  • pathways make me want to scream despite learning how to work with them the best I can
  • tending to your staff and guest needs to such specifics makes the game a chore and pulls attention away from your animals, who should be the stars
  • micromanaging everything constantly gets very, very tiring. it's like running a marathon with no end in sight
  • editing animal names sometimes doesn't work unless the game is paused
  • animal noises seem excessive. I don't like going near my tigers because the babies just scream constantly. I also have a bug with warthog piglets where they like to loop the same shriek for minutes on end. I don't have warthogs anymore lmao
  • there is no way to follow an animal and keep your hud up at the same time, so I can't admire my animal while keeping tabs on the zoo
  • no way to filter options from highest to lowest in multiples. for example, I can't search age lowest, price lowest. I must filter one of those, then manually look for the other
  • terrain tool is not strong enough and not large enough. a square brush would also be nice
  • terrain painting seems limited with only a few simple options
  • placing things like benches, bins, donation boxes etc is finicky and path based. in combination with the annoying path system, I often want to self destruct
  • noticed some glitchy movement in staff (moonwalking backwards) but as long as they do their job idc
  • if staff get stuck I don't always have the option to move them. the only fix is to fire them (and then they complain they can't get out of the zoo gkdjfhgkjdfhg). allowing me to always move the staff will fix this easily
  • animals choosing to swim somewhere instead of walking around. example: I have a pond in the middle of my habitat- instead of going around which is significantly quicker, they go through the water, causing wellfare issues
  • you have to redo research with every new franchise zoo you open, which frankly makes me not want to open them
  • trading center only allows 30 animals, which has been an issue with my smaller zoos, let alone how I imagine it to be with large zoos. why is there a limit at all
  • in general, folders to keep track of my animals would make my life immensely easier. failing that, maybe a way to put notes on our animals, instead of sticking cryptic messages in their names (ah yes my beloved giraffe, 100 31 88 66 FH KK sell)
  • we were promised animals that look different from each other so you can tell them apart and see them as individuals, but I can rarely tell them apart. this is most noticeable in animals like wolves, who can come in a variety of colors and are all gray
  • education is weird and seems impossible to fill to max. I don't want 500 screens and speakers everywhere, 2-3 per habitat or viewing area should be more than enough
  • animals are still randomly being boxed and deposited in front of the gate. if they're gonna be boxed no matter what, can I at least get a notification?
  • bug where after sending just-grown animals to the trading center, it doesn't register that they're not in that enclosure and thus the parents break out into a fight. strangely, this happens in one zoo, but not the other
  • genetics passing through the trading center, meaning you can buy two siblings and breed them and get horrible offspring without knowing
  • genetics in general making no sense to me. if i have a gold tiger with great stats, another gold tiger with great stats, both of which I bought off the trading center and are from different zoos, how am I getting a bad range of stats from their offspring?
  • size stat is meaningless?
EDIT 1:
  • a bulldozer button is practically necessary in a game like this and yet we don't have one
  • we need a way to limit guests in every mode
  • the fact that guests complain about low ticket prices is kind of ridic. if I want to increase my guest count by setting the price lower, I should be able to do so
  • keepers can't cross water, meaning you can't do fun stuff like a river or swamp
  • zoopedia doesn't,,,,,,, have a search function? you have to manually scroll to the animal you want each time?
  • the blue overlay when color changing items is problematic for obvious reasons
  • trading center doesn't show what price you listed your animals for
  • compare mates is clunky and a bit frustrating to use when you're pages deep in gorillas trying to find the right mate, losing your place after you've went into the menu. also it doesn't recognize animals you have in the trade center that you haven't put into your zoo yet
EDIT 2:

• you can't save a franchise park to import to sandbox like you can with career maps
  • new issue where trading center doesn't recognize my clicking for like 3 tries
  • serious performance issues when doing any construction in the general area of my gorillas and their climbing area. lags, freezes. I also had a gorilla magically teleport 40 feet underground and be classified as escaped until he magically appeared back in his habitat. this did not happen prior to patch 1.0.2
FIXED ISSUES:

• clicking an animal location does not select them
  • albino animals don't have albino portraits in the trade center. fixed, however, I have heard it is buggy and will show portraits as albino when the animal is a carrier of albino genes, and not albino themselves.
  • we are now allowed to limit guests, but only in sandbox mode.

Last edited:
Didn't read all yet, but for this issue "keepers not filling food trays but placing food on the ground. I'm not sure what causes it, but moving the tray only works when I find the specifc spot that my keeper decides is the best spot for it to be"... you need to put down more food bowls, because the one you have is full and your animals need more food then the actual bowl has space.

Happend to me too in my bear habitat as they had offspring. The big bowl was filled and the keeper went to another place and putted more food on the ground. I saw this and was wondering why (like you do)... my logic told me, that I maybe just need more bowls. So I pulled out one more bowl (a small one) and the next time the keeper filled up the food, he filled up both and nothing was putted on the ground from him again.

Maybe it workes for you too, it worked for me, so I think it's not a bug, it's a mechanic to tell you, you need more food bowls. 😊

Last edited:
Didn't read all yet, but for this issue "keepers not filling food trays but placing food on the ground. I'm not sure what causes it, but moving the tray only works when I find the specifc spot that my keeper decides is the best spot for it to be"... you need to put down more food bowls, because the one you have is full and your animals need more food then the actual bowl has space.

Happend to me too in my bear habitat as they had offspring. The big bowl was filled and the keeper went to another place and putted more food on the ground. I saw this and was wondering why (like you do)... my logic told me, that I maybe just need more bowls. So I pulled out one more bowl (a small one) and the next time the keeper filled up the food, he filled up both and nothing was putted on the ground from him again.

Maybe it workes for you too, it worked for me, so I think it's not a bug, it's a mechanic to tell you, you need more food bowls. 😊
ah, sorry, maybe I wasn't clear :") but I mean that I had empty bowls in the habitat and keepers were throwing food on the ground instead

ah, sorry, maybe I wasn't clear :") but I mean that I had empty bowls in the habitat and keepers were throwing food on the ground instead
Hmmm, yes I understood it wrong then... okay, weird 🤔... sry my suggestion can't help you then probably, I really thought I could help you with this problem.
Do you still have that one after the last update, or did this change already?

Hello Xesta,

From your post I picked a few things I wanted to comment about.

" keepers not filling food trays. this has gotten bad enough that I've stopped putting food enrichment in my habitats all together.
keepers not filling food trays but placing food on the ground. I'm not sure what causes it, but moving the tray only works when I find the specifc spot that my keeper decides is the best spot for it to be"

From what I remember Frontier made it so the animals get other food from the enrichments which is why the zoo keepers are ignoring the food trays. Also helps if a zookeeper hut is nearby the enclosure. And place 1 zookeeper per enclosure to get less negative spam.

"some animal pack limits make no sense. african wild dogs can have large packs, yet the zoopedia says 6 max. wolves have huge family packs, but will kill each other upon growing (though we've all heard a lot about this by now tbh). lion prides can have multiple males. etc "

I think they have fixed this with yesterdays update.

"albino animals need albino portraits in the trading center, to prevent scammers and encourage safe buying. heck, I'd love an option to sort for albino animals specifically"

They fixed this in last update

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"clicking an animal location does not select them" - Agree

"family tree?" - Agree

"pathways make me want to scream despite learning how to work with them the best I can" - Agree, this is one of the reasons (that and fences) why I was debating whether or not to get a refund for the game. Needs to be more player friendly.

"animal noises seem excessive. I don't like going near my tigers because the babies just scream constantly. I also have a bug with warthog piglets where they like to loop the same shriek for minutes on end. I don't have warthogs anymore lmao." - True, I recently added in Tigers and they talk a lot, as well as springbok and some others in the deer family.

"there is no way to follow an animal and keep your hud up at the same time, so I can't admire my animal while keeping tabs on the zoo" - True, I would like to run a zoo while following a animal. As you might miss out on things while doing this.

Awesome thread, you made very good points as well as you might need to update as some things are fixed. :)

"Lot's of litter everywhere". I really would like a way to assign a staff member. Now first you have to scan all over the zoo for the litter, because it's never "everywhere", and than you need to find a worker to drag to it and clean it up.

I know there must be someone assigned to that zone, but he is probably on his week's long coffee break.

Hmmm, yes I understood it wrong then... okay, weird 🤔... sry my suggestion can't help you then probably, I really thought I could help you with this problem.
Do you still have that one after the last update, or did this change already?
unfortunately I haven't played since posting this, as my motivation has completely died :"I I played a solid 130ish hours before my soul left my body and I was left incapable of caring about the game anymore lmao

Hello Xesta,

From your post I picked a few things I wanted to comment about.

" keepers not filling food trays. this has gotten bad enough that I've stopped putting food enrichment in my habitats all together.
keepers not filling food trays but placing food on the ground. I'm not sure what causes it, but moving the tray only works when I find the specifc spot that my keeper decides is the best spot for it to be"

From what I remember Frontier made it so the animals get other food from the enrichments which is why the zoo keepers are ignoring the food trays. Also helps if a zookeeper hut is nearby the enclosure. And place 1 zookeeper per enclosure to get less negative spam.

"some animal pack limits make no sense. african wild dogs can have large packs, yet the zoopedia says 6 max. wolves have huge family packs, but will kill each other upon growing (though we've all heard a lot about this by now tbh). lion prides can have multiple males. etc "

I think they have fixed this with yesterdays update.

"albino animals need albino portraits in the trading center, to prevent scammers and encourage safe buying. heck, I'd love an option to sort for albino animals specifically"

They fixed this in last update

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"clicking an animal location does not select them" - Agree

"family tree?" - Agree

"pathways make me want to scream despite learning how to work with them the best I can" - Agree, this is one of the reasons (that and fences) why I was debating whether or not to get a refund for the game. Needs to be more player friendly.

"animal noises seem excessive. I don't like going near my tigers because the babies just scream constantly. I also have a bug with warthog piglets where they like to loop the same shriek for minutes on end. I don't have warthogs anymore lmao." - True, I recently added in Tigers and they talk a lot, as well as springbok and some others in the deer family.

"there is no way to follow an animal and keep your hud up at the same time, so I can't admire my animal while keeping tabs on the zoo" - True, I would like to run a zoo while following a animal. As you might miss out on things while doing this.

Awesome thread, you made very good points as well as you might need to update as some things are fixed. :)
for the zookeeper food issue, yes I know what the devs' intent was with zookeepers and enrichment items, but it's a broken gameplay feature that causes problems and thus goes on the list! plus the bug you listed is separate, with them leaving food bowls unfilled entirely while placing food on the ground. I had no food enrichment in those habitats.

as for the others, they did say they fixed them, however I have not been in game to check it. from what I heard the albino animal portraits were implemented but are now buggy and can be trusted about as much as they were when there was no portrait lmao :"I

thank you for your feedback on my??? feedback??? it helped me to clarify and edit!

Last edited:
here's a couple bugs I found while playing (didn't want to make a new thread)

-died of old age animals picked up by vets are stuck in vet's inventory until restart of game (apon restart I had an error message that my local game files were different from cloud files) - firing the vet did not remove the deaf animal alert notification or it's registry in the animal list. Clicking on the animal would bring me to the vet who picked it up before firing, after firing it wouldn't bring me anywhere.

-Animal that had below terrain climbing ramps (red panda) somehow ended up deep underground (emergency capture fixed this)

-Needing to click the buttons in the auction house multiple times to get the button to work (server issue?? - maybe grey out button after click: continuously sending "click" requests for one second before un-greying)

-I am also having the food issue, I'm having 30,000$ spent on food a year for my 6 gorillas while my 40 flamingos cost me 500$, can't identify the item causing the glitch,

Today I had 150 animals returned to the trade center upon launch. As we can't move multiple animals from the trade center yet, this was... an issue.

Top Bottom