Bounty Hunting - Good or Bad?

When hunting bounties in a Hazardous Resouce (HazRes) area, there are bounties for multiple factions that can be gained, do all of these bounties count as positive interactions for the Faction that controls the system, or do they count as interactions for ALL of the factions the bounties are picked up for?

It is my understanding, that bounties must be handed in specifically for the Faction that controls the Station being sold at, or the System Controlling Faction. Even though when we hand them in at the station its says 'Turn in Bounties for Faction A', it seems to be messing with influence gains for the Controlling Faction, which we are trying to increase.

TIA

When hunting bounties in a Hazardous Resouce (HazRes) area, there are bounties for multiple factions that can be gained, do all of these bounties count as positive interactions for the Faction that controls the system, or do they count as interactions for ALL of the factions the bounties are picked up for?

It is my understanding, that bounties must be handed in specifically for the Faction that controls the Station being sold at, or the System Controlling Faction. Even though when we hand them in at the station its says 'Turn in Bounties for Faction A', it seems to be messing with influence gains for the Controlling Faction, which we are trying to increase.

TIA
yes, bountie redeems go as positive influence to the faction issuing them, in the system they are handed in.

differently to trade or exploration data, which only go to the station controlling faction.

if you want to push only 1 faction in system, hand in all bounties in another system - for exampel with an interstellar factor or at a FC in another system. those factions being present in another system will gain from the bountie redeems there, but not in the system where you got those bounties.

note: which is why many player groups export bountie vouchers to systems they want to push influence in.

Last edited:
yes, bountie redeems go as positive influence to the faction issuing them, in the system they are handed in.

differently to trade or exploration data, which only go to the station controlling faction.

Argh, I thought bounties worked like trade or exploration data for some reason, so thanks for the clarification
On the plus side, it might explain some of the BGS "oddities" in my semi-backwater home system.

if you want to push only 1 faction in system, hand in all bounties in another system - for exampel with an interstellar factor or at a FC in another system. those factions being present in another system will gain from the bountie redeems there, but not in the system where you got those bounties.

note: which is why many player groups export bountie vouchers to systems they want to push influence in.

But what happens when turning bounties to an IF in a system where the faction that issued them is not present ?
Does it get shared evenly between the systems where it is present or does that simply remove the INF from those bounties ?

I'm asking because I'm loosely supporting 2 different faction in my home system, A) the mostly inactive (afaik) Player Faction that controls most of the System (trying to keep them at around 50% INF) and B) 1 NPC faction I'm trying to prop up to a main/relevant opposition party (ideally 20% ish INF + one station) without hurting the PF .
That leaves me with a handful of NPC factions I'm trying to keep down, to avoid them getting in constant conflicts with the NPC faction I support (PF is usually hovering around 50% INF anyway so they're safe).

If I had a way to redeem bounties from unsupported factions without giving them any INF, it would be great (I just don't like having a ton of bounties just lying around)

Last edited:
So, gaining bounties at a HazRes site (for multiple factions) and turning them in at the System Station - will affect the influence of ALL factions present in the system, or just the controlling faction?

I am pretty sure that we have been hi-jacking all of our other work to increase influence, by turning in bounties for other factions via the HazRes site in the system.

So, gaining bounties at a HazRes site (for multiple factions) and turning them in at the System Station - will affect the influence of ALL factions present in the system, or just the controlling faction?

I am pretty sure that we have been hi-jacking all of our other work to increase influence, by turning in bounties for other factions via the HazRes site in the system.
It has nothing to do with the Station, its who is in the System.
A Faction gets Inf from its bounties if it is present in the system where you hand them in, even if you use a FC.

Bounties handed in to a station Security Contact will give +Inf to the named Faction. The Faction controlling the station get no special benefit from that, just the Faction named on the Bounty.
Bounties handed in at an IF give no Inf to anyone (by default the factions can't be in that system if you can hand them in to the IF, if they were in the system you'd have to use the Security Contact).

...and Ninja'd above re FCs :)

It has nothing to do with the Station, its who is in the System.
(So the controlling faction - Faction A) - I do 1.5million worth of bounties, and turn those bounties in. Those bounties count towards the Influence Faction A? Or is the influence spread out among all of the factions present in the system?

This has been a point of discourse for a squad member and I. I am under the impression that if you hunt bounties in a system, you must hand in ONLY bounties for the faction that you want to increase the influence for, and that if you hand in the bounties for OTHER factions in the system, that they will also get the influence bump.

I believe that hunting and turning in bounties at the systems main station, is negatively affecting the Controlling Faction.

Apologies if I seem to be asking the same question in different ways, I just want to understand exactly what is happening here, that is negatively affecting our influence, when we are all doing positive interactions.

(So the controlling faction - Faction A) - I do 1.5million worth of bounties, and turn those bounties in. Those bounties count towards the Influence Faction A? Or is the influence spread out among all of the factions present in the system?

This has been a point of discourse for a squad member and I. I am under the impression that if you hunt bounties in a system, you must hand in ONLY bounties for the faction that you want to increase the influence for, and that if you hand in the bounties for OTHER factions in the system, that they will also get the influence bump.

I believe that hunting and turning in bounties at the systems main station, is negatively affecting the Controlling Faction.

Apologies if I seem to be asking the same question in different ways, I just want to understand exactly what is happening here, that is negatively affecting our influence, when we are all doing positive interactions.
I’m no BGS expert but this can be solved by simply not using a KWS.

If you don’t use a KWS all the vouchers that you get from BH sessions will be for the controlling faction of the system. Hopefully the one you want to push...

Another thing to maybe note is that there seems to be a cap for how much REP you can gain from turning in vouchers, and I think it’s actually very low...

For example, I can do an hours of BH and have....

3mil for Faction A (Controlling)
400k for Faction B
350k for Faction C
150k for Faction D

...but when i hand in my vouchers the reputation I receive from every faction will be near identical.

Basically, it doesn’t matter if I turn in 1m of bounty or 100m of bounty the rep gained is the same.

...if the same thing is happening for INF then it would mean everything basically stays exactly the same.

...if the same thing is happening for INF then it would mean everything basically stays exactly the same.

In my scenario, we have 8 factions present in the system. When our squad goes to a 'HazRes' site in the system to do bounty hunting, and then turn in the bounties gained, it causes a drop in the influence of the controlling faction, and a small increase in all other factions present.

I just want to ensure that we are not working against ourselves if the bounties are decreasing the influence gains of the controlling faction, while raising the others (which we want to keep low)

In my scenario, we have 8 factions present in the system. When our squad goes to a 'HazRes' site in the system to do bounty hunting, and then turn in the bounties gained, it causes a drop in the influence of the controlling faction, and a small increase in all other factions present.

I just want to ensure that we are not working against ourselves if the bounties are decreasing the influence gains of the controlling faction, while raising the others (which we want to keep low)
let's split it, to try getting all of this clear:

1. going to haz res, hunting:
  • each faction, which ships are killed by a player, looses a tiny amount of influence
  • each crime committed by a player (friendly fire...) looses a tiny amount of inf for the controlling faction.

this all happens pre hand-in.

2. handing in bountie vouchers via station
  • each faction present in the system gains influence from handing in their bountie vouchers
  • it doesn't matter in which system the vouchers have been gained

3. influence calculation (tick)
- as it easier for a faction at low influence to gain, than for a high influence faction: handing in the same bounty vouchers to a faction at 5% and to a faction at 50% will result in the 5% faction gaining more. which means: difference in influence between the two gets smaller.

- gains are distributed as losses in relation to influence in system. if that 5% faction gains 6, the 50% faction pays 3 of it.

... and influence can't (or shouldn't add to >100%.

so yes, handing in bounties for all factions should result in the controlling factions loosing influence, if the balance of vouchers handed in is not extremely much more than for all other factions.

Each bounty you can hand in is labelled with the faction which issued it.
It increases the influence of the faction which issued it, in the system you hand it in.

Don't hand in the bounties for the factions you don't want to increase.

Each bounty you can hand in is labelled with the faction which issued it.
It increases the influence of the faction which issued it, in the system you hand it in.

Don't hand in the bounties for the factions you don't want to increase.
Much appreciated. I hope that this settles the argument with my squad, they are adamant that the bounties they are turning in, ONLY count for the Controlling Faction.

On days that they work the HazRes site, it results in a -3 to -5% loss for influence for the controlling faction (A), even though when handing in the bounties, it shows [Hand in bounties for Faction A] we know for certain that not all of the bounties were for [Faction A]. . Always results in a loss of influence.

Is it just me, or have the bounty hunting reward influence effect gone crazy since they upped the payouts? Seems like our inf goes down when bounties are delivered.

The amount of work required to gain influence seems to remain unchanged, only the payout has increased. Could it be that you are submitting the same value as before, but doing less work to get that value?

I've not seen any reversal of inf effects, are you being opposed?

Being attacked is possible, but that should be pretty considerable force that wants to supress us in many systems. Some of them make so and others less so. When the price upgrade hit, we put together a wing and made tremendous bounties each, even when divided by 4. We were happy to earn good money while doing it, but now are afraid to use it.

I've seen a definite change in "equilibrium influence levels" since the bounty rebalance.
https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/1/history?minrange=3305-03-01&maxrange=3306-12-07
https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/5/history?minrange=3305-03-01&maxrange=3306-12-07
https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/61/history?minrange=3305-03-01&maxrange=3306-12-07
This is far enough out that the Epic accounts haven't got here yet in any significant numbers, and the timing coincides with the bounty rebalance exactly.

Overall traffic is unchanged, none of these are being deliberately attacked, and this effect is only seen in high-traffic systems with lots of bounty hunting (low traffic + lots of bounty hunting, where the bounties can be assumed to be deliberately for the controller, do not see this effect)

So long as you only hand in your bounties it should be fairly effective, but if you're a good bounty-hunting spot for passing traffic with a KWS, you'll probably stabilise lower anyway.

Top Bottom