Blame and unpunishment:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Someone reported a friend of mine for his CMDR name. It was an obscure German reference, something like: "TigerSmacker88". All he had to do was change the 88 to some other number and FDEV was happy o_O There you go OP, maybe this offensive ship name is also a historical Italian reference so you can resubmit your grievance with a chance of getting satisfaction.

Not really. Someone's else ship name contains cuss words in italian that could cost them the PEGI7 badge. Or did they drop this silly requirement already and moved to Teen rating? Anyway Support should ban that name from displaying as it did with lesser offending ships named for example "Cucumber".
AFAIK 'online user content' is excluded from PEGI ratings.

it's really easy to check if a given word is a cuss word in any language, while doing it algorithmically is hard and prone to errors...
It is also really easy to come up with words that are very innocent in one language and very offensive in another. Then what? It is very simple: some people don't like some other people. You can ban words but not the meaning of the words. No matter what rules you come up with, people will be able to convey that sentiment and you're just gonna have to live with it.

Last edited:
I'm hurt and offended that my witty and non-offensive comments from yesterday were removed from this thread. Take action, FDEV!!
Are you sure it was this thread? Because there was a thread just like this yesterday but it was taken down for naming and shaming the CMDR who has the offensive ship name, OP didn't realise that naming and shaming is against the rules, so he edited the thread and reposted it today.

We all make mistakes, silly ones. Mistakes you're not even aware were breaking the rules.

Actually, perhaps the CMDR named his ship not knowing it broke the rules?

Meanwhile, those 7 year-olds are slave-traders and space-murderers. But let's pray they aren't exposed to italian swear words.
I'm just ridiculing the badge as a whole, still a breach of eula and a valid reason to act though.

It is also really easy to come up with words that are very innocent in one language and very offensive in another.
If it's a valid phrase in another language, well, tough choice for a support clerk, but again seeing ships named "cucumber" censored by the machine in the past, I'd assume they like to err on the side of caution. I recall a proud, mythological name like Agamemnon also censored, mentioned in the same thread.

Also there's no way to block someone from the bounty board, so the bounty will remain on the boards for an unknown amount of time. It is a mild form of harrasment of a player group to be sure, and Support should take action in this case in my opinion.

PS: I am not from the snowflake generation btw., it's just my opinion that this case is handled poorly by Support, is all.

That's a small price to pay for not being liable for player speach.
Tell that to an innocent father murdered by trigger-happy, poorly trained cops in Wichita because two stronzis got into a fight online and one swatted the other, only the address given was random. A man was shot. That's an ultimate price to pay.

So yeah, internet trolls and real names don't mix. You underestimate pettishness and maliciousness of people.

it's really easy to check if a given word is a cuss word in any language, while doing it algorithmically is hard and prone to errors...
I'm just ridiculing the badge as a whole, still a breach of eula and a valid reason to act though.

If it's a valid phrase in another language, well, tough choice for a support clerk, but again seeing ships named "cucumber" censored by the machine in the past, I'd assume they like to err on the side of caution. I recall a proud, mythological name like Agamemnon also censored, mentioned in the same thread.

Also there's no way to block someone from the bounty board, so the bounty will remain on the boards for an unknown amount of time. It is a mild form of harrasment of a player group to be sure, and Support should take action in this case in my opinion.

PS: I am not from the snowflake generation btw., it's just my opinion that this case is handled poorly by Support, is all.
It's interesting too see all the "I am not from the snowflake generation" folks argue how FD should take swift action against a naughty word that may hurt someone's feelings, while the snowflake generation is telling them to grow a spine. Odd. :)

It's interesting too see all the "I am not from the snowflake generation" folks argue how FD should take swift action against a naughty word that may hurt someone's feelings, while the snowflake generation is telling them to grow a spine. Odd. :)
Company interests and private behaviour rarely go hand in hand.

Tell that to an innocent father murdered by trigger-happy, poorly trained cops in Wichita because two stronzis got into a fight online and one swatted the other, only the address given was random. A man was shot. That's an ultimate price to pay.

So yeah, internet trolls and real names don't mix. You underestimate pettishness and maliciousness of people.
Okay okay, I'll just take the last step since you abandoned all reason here: something something Hitler.

There, done. Can we now tone it down a notch again?

Being potentially liable for offending a person or a nation is more costly than the 0 cost such a company would have in that situation.
I for one would sleep soundly knowing that i have no chance of someone sneaking in a name that could potentially offend me. If someone dies from that, they at least died safe from being offended.

Okay okay, I'll just take the last step since you abandoned all reason here: something something Hitler.

There, done. Can we now tone it down a notch again?
No, you're clearly confusing posts here. I was responding to someone who thought putting real names in a computer game where salt geysers flow on the forums almost daily is a good idea. I just framed that into context, and SWATting is a real thing. Google it. It's also not hard to track down someone in a game using P2P networking, and giving them additional ammunition is a REALLY bad idea. Privacy is important nowadays, and we're just starting to bravely venture into the internet of things security nightmare.

PS: Please, no Godwin's law, I expected better of you Sleutelboss...

privacy is less important than being able to shed liability. Less important than being able to identify offenders in order to deal with them and less important than the security in knowing that someone more powerful can hold someone less to the things they are willing to risk saying.

How dare some lowly peasant disrespect the great faction of Ender ? They'll think twice about making offensive names or communication regarding my noble group when they know that we know who they are, where they live, where they work and who their family is. Snip the offensive language in the butt before it even gets out. Isn't that better than being reactive?

You should be so lucky a great group such as ours doesn't use their vast wealth of free time to fabricate whatever we want about you for whatever reason we want

privacy is less important than being able to shed liability. Less important than being able to identify offenders in order to deal with them and less important than the security in knowing that someone more powerful can hold someone less to the things they are willing to risk saying.
But Support knows perfectly who they are and have the tools to give a spanking to them if they decide to. No need to leave (or make it easier) for a mob to lynch :)

Look, I get where you come from. It's just, in my opinion, one of the "that's why we can't have nice things" scenarios. And with social media amplifying stupidity far louder than voices of reason, lynch mobs can form and bad things can happen. I see it on twitter often, especially recently. Sorry but that's my view on it. I strayed far, far from the original topic, sorry for rant, so I will show myself out :)

I think, basically, that people believe if an offence isn’t a serious one, so is not a true offence. I agree, this isn’t the worst thing i’ve heard or read playing Elite, and probably most of us can consider this a childish joke. Anyway every communities, as ours, is made by several people, each one with a different sensitivity and no one can really knows how someone could react to similar situations; some guy could laugh at it, someone else could be in a critical part of his life and take it seriously. it’s sad to think that there is no way to find, even in video game, a place far from bully attitudes and offenses, that’s very sad. That’s why i find unacceptable minimize these episodes, because the weak side of the story, most of the time, isn’t the offender, but the offended.
Is the guy physically attacking the author of OP or anyone in his group? If no physical attack is happening, then the old adage still stands: sticks and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. This snowflake “I’m physically hurt by words” attitude needs to leave the world. Some people are A-holes, but as long as they don’t touch you, I promise, their words can never EVER physically hurt you. Now if your constitution is incredibly weak, that’s something you can work on. Being offended is literally your problem, in that you don’t have to be offended, you choose to be.

Op, it seems like that guy has created a lot of content for you, the guy's a saint and you should be thanking him. Also you have it in your own gift not to feel offended at his ship names.

Only you can control what goes on in your own mind, so I'd start there if I were in your shoes.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom