Blame and unpunishment:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think, basically, that people believe if an offence isn’t a serious one, so is not a true offence. I agree, this isn’t the worst thing i’ve heard or read playing Elite, and probably most of us can consider this a childish joke. Anyway every communities, as ours, is made by several people, each one with a different sensitivity and no one can really knows how someone could react to similar situations; some guy could laugh at it, someone else could be in a critical part of his life and take it seriously. it’s sad to think that there is no way to find, even in video game, a place far from bully attitudes and offenses, that’s very sad. That’s why i find unacceptable minimize these episodes, because the weak side of the story, most of the time, isn’t the offender, but the offended.

with the snow flakes this game attracts, Fdev would be better off going the Nintendo route with in-game player text content. Just have a dropdown of like 10 pre-selected and vetted phrases / names and force everyone to use them to communicate and only them within the game.

That way everyone is safe and secure in not seeing things that make them upset being typed by other players and fdev is protected from liability in allowing players to include their own content.

Also, commander names themselves need to go. Replace with your real legal name used to pay for the account. That way there's no chance of anyone sneaking in something offensive.

Fdev gets to wipe their hands of all liability and we all get what we want? right?

I cannot belive what I've red.. The focus is not the ship name... The focus is the fdev (not) reaction. Is it so hard to understand?

I cannot belive what I've red.. The focus is not the ship name... The focus is the fdev (not) reaction. Is it so hard to understand?
Fdev has taken months to fix actual game bugs (repeatedly) that break their own features. It's not hard to understand that this stupid player ship name complaint is not high on anyone's list of priorities. We dont care if the post complaint is about inaction. It's much more interesting that you're butt hurt over a ship name and simultaneously some huge player group that should be respected.

You guys are one of the biggest groups in the game, by all means complain to fdev, it's your right to do so, but you won't get much sympathy in the forums for a domestic spat that you can't sort out between you.

I never told he's a cheater, never.
But naming ships in any offending way is breaking EULA paragraph 7.3
after almost one month, and many reports, name is still there.
That's the point: why someone can break the rules?
That's 7.3.1 though, carry on reading 7.3.2

Also, commander names themselves need to go. Replace with your real legal name used to pay for the account. That way there's no chance of anyone sneaking in something offensive.
My name was "Randomley" suggested by PS4 when the one I chose was not available (pre ED by a day) and last Sunday when I started an Alt Commander they came up with "Feline Sheath" so I named the Sidewinder "Pu ssy Galore" :)

But "I dont like someone else's ship name" is not something they should pay attention to or fix.
Not really. Someone's else ship name contains cuss words in italian that could cost them the PEGI7 badge. Or did they drop this silly requirement already and moved to Teen rating? Anyway Support should ban that name from displaying as it did with lesser offending ships named for example "Cucumber".

What would resolve these complaints about names would be a reporting system. X reports and account is flagged for manual checking, it's really easy to check if a given word is a cuss word in any language, while doing it algorithmically is hard and prone to errors...

Also if someone raised a support ticket with a valid complaint of EULA-breaking behaviour, Support should act and not brush that away like "oh you can block him no probs". We ARE paying customers and Support is there for US. It was a part of game price. And they should act on it because it takes 10 minutes to check google for the word, ban that ship name and write a scolding letter to the account holder, probably from a template too - because he IS breaking the EULA. The fact that the automated ship name filtering didn't pick it up shouldn't be an excuse if it was manually reported. Of course if it's something silly like a perfect English phrase like the "Fitting something" mentioned in the thread, such a request should be denied. But here we have plain as a day, cuss-word insult aimed at a pmf. This really should not fly because it paints a bad picture of Support and the company in general.

Also when the person in question did that twice (or more), he should simply be banned for a preset time, but we all know fdev is very reluctant to do that as previous, more serious dramas have shown.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom