Blame and unpunishment:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Mmmnah, not so simple. As you can read, that ship was called with another offensive word for a Powerplay faction, before that commander turned against DVC. He is not a player, he is a mess bringer, an account created and managed to ruin the work of the communities and the gameplay by exploiting the flaws in the game mechanics. Free insults are just a way to make fun of people who play fairly and programmers who work hard to make the game work as best they can.
Still, likely to be a juvenile most likely a ganker, who's been defeated & lost his/her Ship to a faction(s) member & like kids at school want revenge by name calling.

we already contacted them, as we wrote in the first post, and the answer was: "if you feel offended, you can block him". This is a non-answer: if I block him he will continue to offend DaVinci with his ship.
Sorry, your first post indicates that you sent in a ticket to Support & not contacting a Community Manager.

You could turn it around and interpret that ship name as having gotten under the skin of that player (all caps low-brow insults tend to indicate that's the case usually), and take it as a badge of honour instead.

Posting threads such as this is only giving them the rise they're craving for (too late now I guess).

The game mechanisms aren't going to change and convincing support that a ship name on a bounty board constitutes out of character harassment is a long shot. If the player in question isn't actually cheating in a manner Frontier is willing to enforce, I don't think you have much recourse.

Still, likely to be a juvenile most likely a ganker, who's been defeated & lost his/her Ship to a faction(s) member & like kids at school want revenge by name calling.
Both completely unsubstantiated and totally irrelevant.

You could turn it around and interpret that ship name as having gotten under the skin of that player (all caps low-brow insults tend to indicate that's the case usually), and take it as a badge of honour instead.

Posting threads such as this is only giving them the rise they're craving for (too late now I guess).
Quite agree, Iv played for 5 1/2 years & wouldn't notice if anyone had been calling me anything, names on Ships, names of players I just don't look at that type of thing in the game. Though I'd have to have studied Italian to even work this one out!

However, I can see the faction's point of view & FDEV rules clearly state that offensive naming of players, Ships, whatever are not allowed - though as in RL, who's the one that decides what constitutes an offensive word once 'grey' area's are reached.
Also 'blocking' still doesn't remove an offensive word from the game.....it's still there:unsure:

Quite agree, Iv played for 5 1/2 years & wouldn't notice if anyone had been calling me anything, names on Ships, names of players I just don't look at that type of thing in the game. Though I'd have to have studied Italian to even work this one out!

However, I can see the faction's point of view & FDEV rules clearly state that offensive naming of players, Ships, whatever are not allowed - though as in RL, who's the one that decides what constitutes an offensive word once 'grey' area's are reached.
Also 'blocking' still doesn't remove an offensive word from the game.....it's still there:unsure:
Considering loads of my ships names were censored, even though they had nothing nasty in them at all. (Fitted Hazardous, or Upper Class Manifest, or Trim Atomic, for instance?) I'm quite surprised this didn't get auto censored by FD's over zealous filter.

Considering loads of my ships names were censored, even though they had nothing nasty in them at all. (Fitted Hazardous, or Upper Class Manifest, or Trim Atomic, for instance?) I'm quite surprised this didn't get auto censored by FD's over zealous filter.
Obvious that the filter isn't designed for reading Italian!

Obvious that the filter isn't designed for reading Italian!
Yes, but it seemed to be able to read various other languages enough to censor stuff that was clearly not offensive in english!

I was told the "Fit" part of Fitted Hazardous might have been censored due to something in Finnish?

managed to ruin the work of the communities and the gameplay by exploiting the flaws in the game mechanics.
But the player is not exploiting anything and is playing BGS manipulation completely within the 'rules' - unless he is actually using a cheat, which would then warrant a ban - and can attack your faction or any other, from any mode, in any way the player chooses.

As for the silly names... 🤷‍♂️

Do the same as the squadron my main is in, work BGS to your own favour and don't let mode choice of your opponent be of any matter, if you are being beaten by a single player in BGS it may indicate he is not exactly inept maybe?

Yes, but it seemed to be able to read various other languages enough to censor stuff that was clearly not offensive in english!

I was told the "Fit" part of Fitted Hazardous might have been censored due to something in Finnish?
That's the problem with languages though, what's innocent in one Country is grossly offensive in another.....who decides....& who checks the decider......& who.........

I'll just post the same thing I posted in the ED Italia discord:

Sounds like more of a technical issue to me, ED's system is meant to automatically apply censorship to offensive carrier / ship names. The easiest solution would be to add "STRONZI" to the blacklisted words, I mean if they don't want to do Italian localization is fine, but definitely a better Italian bad words censorship should be a thing (currently you can write lots of bad Italian words and the system won't censor them). I'm sure the problem exists also for other languages tho.
There are more than 6000 languages spoken in the whole world today, I doubt that making a blacklist is full of bad worlds for all of them would be a feasible thing.

Also consider that being this an automated system, it will always be exploitable in some way. The only way to fix this problem once for all is to have Frontier check all carriers and ship names manually.

I'll just post the same thing I posted in the ED Italia discord:

Sounds like more of a technical issue to me, ED's system is meant to automatically apply censorship to offensive carrier / ship names. The easiest solution would be to add "STRONZI" to the blacklisted words, I mean if they don't want to do Italian localization is fine, but definitely a better Italian bad words censorship should be a thing (currently you can write lots of bad Italian words and the system won't censor them). I'm sure the problem exists also for other languages tho.
There are more than 6000 languages spoken in the whole world today, I doubt that making a blacklist is full of bad worlds for all of them would be a feasible thing.

Also consider that being this an automated system, it will always be exploitable in some way. The only way to fix this problem once for all is to have Frontier check all carriers and ship names manually.
You would have to add 'stronzo', 'stronze', and 'stronza' as well, plus there is no shortage of other insults in the Italian language.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom