BGS value of holding planetside non-landable settlements

Hello, thank you for the opportunity to post questions here - a thousand apologies if this has been covered before i've really been searching high and low for awhile and can not find the clarification we need.... i hope this is the right place to ask!

My squadron is trying to understand if there is actually any value in owning planet side settlements beyond just having our name on it and providing another layer of defense to avoid being removed from a system we're not native to. In fact, it almost seems that owning a settlement only exposes a faction to easy influence hits by opposing factions carrying out power grid sabotage or data point scan if those missions do actually affect faction influence of the owner faction similar to something like selling data or something...um... do they?

So, what are the benefits of owning a settlement?

Last edited:
there are currently almost none.

they provide a zone around a settlement, where you can gain bounty vouchers of the the controlling faction. other benefits i can't think of.

might change with odyssee.

My squadron is trying to understand if there is actually any value in owning planet side settlements beyond just having our name on it and providing another layer of defense to avoid being removed from a system we're not native to.
You can be removed from a system even if you own assets, should the retreat go through - and a settlement won't help you fend it off very much.

They can be tactically useful given to other factions in the system - tying other non-native factions up in conflicts so that they can't be invaded against, or just providing a faction that an attacker has to go through to get to you.

They're actually more of a liability than an asset, as it allows surface missions for other factions targeting that facility to generate.

Though, as Ian said, it can make a useful buffer to go through, and as they are kinda a liability, make you an uninviting target to try and leech assets off.

They're actually more of a liability than an asset, as it allows surface missions for other factions targeting that facility to generate.
Do the bounties generated off those assets do any damage to the owning factions inf, and when those bounties are paid off, does that benefit the owning faction in any way?

Do the bounties generated off those assets do any damage to the owning factions inf, and when those bounties are paid off, does that benefit the owning faction in any way?
Criminal assault bounties hurt the influence of the faction whose jurisdiction the crime occurs in. Clearing your name at an IF doesn't do anything to help the affected factions.

That's why those assets are more of a liability; they offer no services or benefits, but missions can target them, and they creat jurisdictional pockets where you aren't the controlling faction, where someone can rack up assault bounties and hurt that faction instead.

Top Bottom