auto land on planet!

Without an autopilot module or anything?
Well, I guess when you call your ship down it basically does the same thing anyway.
Seems kind of silly for a spaceship flying game to have spaceship flying automated.
To each their own, I guess. 🤔
There is a new option in the ship menu, you can turn auto-land on and off. Not tried to turn it on without a docking computer yet. Will try tomorrow after work.

Well, I guess when you call your ship down it basically does the same thing anyway.
Seems kind of silly for a spaceship flying game to have spaceship flying automated.
I agree, THOUGH I'd love the ship undercarriage to be a BIT more flexible and allow landing in more rugged terrain. Right now you almost need a glass surface...

yeah, after navigating through a bunch of menus, you can then DO NOTHING while automatically taking off from a station, wasting time in hyperspace and supercruise autopilot WHILE YOU DO NOTHING, you can then arrive at your destination and CONTINUE TO DO NOTHING while the ship lands itself.

If FDev was smart they'd just sell NPC accounts you can just log in and watch NPC's play the game while watching Netflix in the corner of your screen.

yeah, after navigating through a bunch of menus, you can then DO NOTHING while automatically taking off from a station, wasting time in hyperspace and supercruise autopilot WHILE YOU DO NOTHING, you can then arrive at your destination and CONTINUE TO DO NOTHING while the ship lands itself.

If FDev was smart they'd just sell NPC accounts you can just log in and watch NPC's play the game while watching Netflix in the corner of your screen.
And then complain that there's nothing to do in the game?

This is basically how I liked to play Age of Empires some ~25 years ago. :LOL:
It made for a nice screensaver sim, minus the actual screen saving bit.

Last edited:
This proves that they are going in different direction. I gonna be boring spaceship mechanic

If "press E to land" comes standard, then for all intents and purposes manual landing isn't a thing anymore in this game. Which is fine, I guess, but really seems contrary to the spirit of everything that's come before.

Try landing on a bumpy planet 100 times in a Conda and tell me you wouldn't love an option for skipping it sometimes. Of course if you need to land specifically near something, like cargo you'd like to transfer to your ship, a manual landing is still best. But if you're doing multiple landings per day on a bumpy planet and it doesn't matter much where, it's nice to have the option of using a Clipper or Conda or whatever other PITA ships people might explore in.

I don't mind the auto-land for sometimes use.
It seems a bit too liberal though.
i landed a cobra mk3 on two legs a while ago.
Looked like it should have fallen into the pit under the rear leg, but it sat there like all 3 legs were on firm ground. It did spark and grind a bit when landing, but that auto-pilot is better than me at getting betty to let me park in spots like that!
😝

Try landing on a bumpy planet 100 times in a Conda and tell me you wouldn't love an option for skipping it sometimes. Of course if you need to land specifically near something, like cargo you'd like to transfer to your ship, a manual landing is still best. But if you're doing multiple landings per day on a bumpy planet and it doesn't matter much where, it's nice to have the option of using a Clipper or Conda or whatever other PITA ships people might explore in.
Yep, it sure does eliminate one of the major logistical tradeoffs between different ships, and it sure does eliminate the need to use any attention or intentionality in surveying the landscape in order to find a suitable touch down spot. Nobody will ever need to do either of these things again.

Top Bottom