Ask Your Planetary Tech Questions!

I see newly added questions didn’t the Q&A happen yesterday?
If it did who won?

Assuming it happened on time when will we see a transcript/summary on the forums?

It happened, although only two questions from this thread were posed. I`m sorry to say Arthurs excited ramblings took up some of our precious question time....

Hopefully the best questions from this thread will be answered offline.

It happened, although only two questions from this thread were posed. I`m sorry to say Arthurs excited ramblings took up some of our precious question time....

Hopefully the best questions from this thread will be answered offline.
Although it was conversational in style (which is good), I do have fond memories of previous streams where Sandro (I think) had a giant wad of A4 printouts and went though them rapid fire style.

EDIT: To prevent disappointment, maybe the CMs or the devs could 'like' a question to signify its going to be answered perhaps, and that the question window is a few days before the 'live' show.

Last edited:
Will there be flora on the planet and more specific, not here and there some plants, but forests an jungle like environment
Now or in the future

edit: oops, I'm to late I see. I really loved to see more questions anwered in the stream then hearing from community managers how great it all will be and is :cool:

Last edited:
Since you're changing the planet generation system, is the new odissey system going to upgrade also the horizons (now basegame) system or are you going to maintain both systems?

(know it's too late, trying anyway for the forums answers :p)

Last edited:
Since you're changing the planet generation system, is the new odissey system going to upgrade also the horizons (now basegame) system or are you going to maintain both systems?

(know it's too late, trying anyway for the forums answers :p)
It makes you wonder why they bother answering these questions when people just ask them again...

From the information contained in Kay Ross's talk on last night's Discovery Scanner livestream many people will already have twigged that the terrain features on all the landable planets that we're currently familiar with from Horizons are going to change with the launch of Odyssey.

To be clear what I mean by this is that notable planetary features like canyons, mountains, ridges, valleys, craters, etc that we're currently familiar with will almost certainly no longer exist in Odyssey in their current form. Don't get me wrong, these kinds of features will all still exist, but they'll be in completely different locations and arrangements.

Since one of the consequences of this is that all pre-existing "race tracks" (by which I mean interesting planetary locations that have been scouted, mapped and bookmarked by the racing community as good places to hold SRV or canyon based ship racing events) will cease to exist in their current form, Frontier were kind enough to reach out to me on Wednesday asking if I could spread the word on this subject. For the avoidance of chinese whispers I think it's best if I simply quote that message directly.
I have some news which will affect future Buckyball (and other organised) races in Elite that I want to share with you.
It’s no secret that planets will change a lot when Odyssey lands. Given the way the Stellar Forge produces landscapes on each planet, the update will mean a regeneration of all land formations (canyons, ridges, valleys etc.) on planets which have them. To a large degree, the regeneration will be random (working within certain criteria for each planet such as being an ice world). Unfortunately, this means existing race courses are very likely to change.
While it’s possible some planets will remain great for racing, we imagine this will mean groups like the Buckyball Racers will want to find new places to determine courses. We’d like to offer our support here in particular. If any of the racing groups choose to hold a racetrack discovery competition or similar, we’re more than happy to sponsor them with prizes and promotion to help re-establish this key part of the racing community.
So, when Odyssey launches, things like the existing Buckyball "Pomeche Ridge Challenge" and "Cortes Drag Strip Challenge" will come to an end, their scoreboards will be frozen and we'll begin a search to find new venues for these challenges with fresh new leaderboards.

Although I will be sad to see these much loved locations go I totally appreciate the need for this (it's kind of a consequence of a very complex procedural generation algorithm, there's a butterfly effect, so if you change the algorithm even slightly, let alone with the large changes no doubt required for Odyssey, you're going to get completely different results coming out of the other end). Personally I'm very excited by this prospect and can't wait to see what this new world looks like!

So, what existing planetary features will you be most sad to lose and what new features are you must loooking forward to finding?

I see newly added questions didn’t the Q&A happen yesterday?
If it did who won?

Assuming it happened on time when will we see a transcript/summary on the forums?

They may post today at 17:00 to answer the rest of the questions that didn't get answers during the live stream. Arthur Tolmie even said so. One thing I know that I'm right about. :)

Did i miss it? :p

it was answered in another Q&A quite a while back, the new planetary tech will apply to existing Horizon planets and the Odyssey ones, asking questions we already have answers for is, as I already stated, counterproductive, it means they spend time repeating themselves when they could be imparting new information.

Uh, Obsidian Ant did say we will be able to explore on foot the Thargoid base caves in Odyssey.

They aren't caves except in the way the opening in asteroid bases are caves, and we can already get into them with SRV's. The thargoid structures are exactly that, hand built and hand placed structures like the asteroid bases. We can drive into human parking garages in settlements, that doesn't make them caves. Alien and human structures are not procedural and aren't generated by the planetary tech!

All this is apart from the fact that the devs were asked this question and specifically said the changes to the planetary tech would not allow overhangs and caves, but sure believe a youtuber over the actual dev team!

Last edited:
They aren't caves except in the way the opening in asteroid bases are caves, and we can already get into them with SRV's. The thargoid structures are exactly that, hand built and hand placed structures like the asteroid bases. We can drive into human parking garages in settlements, that doesn't make them caves. Alien and human structures are not procedural and aren't generated by the planetary tech!

All this is apart from the fact that the devs were asked this question and specifically said the changes to the planetary tech would not allow overhangs and caves, but sure believe a youtuber over the actual dev team!
The content creators get extra info from the dev team - thats where OAs info came from. I don't recall anything about caves being mentioned in his video on it either - i specifically remember the word 'structures' being used.
I don't think there was anything mentioned on whether they would be updated either - just that we 'can walk around them' suggesting we can walk through the tunnels we can currently SRV through.
Completely agree though, caves and structure tunnels are completely different things!

The content creators get extra info from the dev team - thats where OAs info came from. I don't recall anything about caves being mentioned in his video on it either - i specifically remember the word 'structures' being used.
I don't think there was anything mentioned on whether they would be updated either - just that we 'can walk around them' suggesting we can walk through the tunnels we can currently SRV through.
Completely agree though, caves and structure tunnels are completely different things!

I don't think there's any point where OA claimed there were going to be caves, that was just me being annoyed by the same question being asked over and over again even after the devs specifically answered that question in a previous Q&A. Yes I did watch that particular video, I don't watch them all, and claiming what OA said as support for caves is rather a stretch.

I don't think there's any point where OA claimed there were going to be caves, that was just me being annoyed by the same question being asked over and over again even after the devs specifically answered that question in a previous Q&A. Yes I did watch that particular video, I don't watch them all, and claiming what OA said as support for caves is rather a stretch.
I know exactly what you mean - every other post is a repeat question! It's almost as if people don't read anything before they post.....

The Martian moons were probably destroyed during the terraforming (the new atmosphere must be much higher than the original).

They were pretty rubbish as moons go as well and so close they would have interfered in the operation of the space elevator, I think they were removed for that.

The Martian moons were probably destroyed during the terraforming (the new atmosphere must be much higher than the original).
They were pretty rubbish as moons go as well and so close they would have interfered in the operation of the space elevator, I think they were removed for that.

I can see how Ceres with its 40% water could have been used in terraforming, but martian moons were perfect for hollowed out asteroid station or generational ships. Either way all disappeared after Mars was terraformed, as I understand it.

Top Bottom