Ask Your Planetary Tech Questions!

Im under the impression caves would be really boring unless there is some kind of danger to them - possibly some kind of dangerous alien lifeform, which is a long way off and wouldnt really fit with the rest of the game
Off the top of my head - some form of rare material could be found in the caves that is difficult to get to or has some natural hazards associated with it (to tie into the suit environment life-support time limits that have been hinted at), or perhaps pirate caches sometimes guarded by robotic sentries? Those would be a bit more interesting than the current left-on-the-surface piles.

I’d probably just enjoy a bit of virtual pot-holing as well - I’ve climbed the SRV to the top of almost impossible peaks, so I’d be interested to see how far underground I could go and make it out again.

sci-fi version of skyrim dungeons at best can be the outpost where you can find something to do. A cave is usless.
So some of the Outpost gameplay in a more natural setting? Dark & creepy?

I wouldn’t consider that setting useless. A very good game called Scanner Sombre makes excellent use of a mostly empty but pitch-black cave system, with the player using LiDAR scanning to map their surroundings.

So some of the Outpost gameplay in a more natural setting? Dark & creepy?

I wouldn’t consider that setting useless. A very good game called Scanner Sombre makes excellent use of a mostly empty but pitch-black cave system, with the player using LiDAR scanning to map their surroundings.
there are much more important and interesting things to add to ED than some useless cave.

Can you ask Dr Kay,

Is there a moment in Stellar Forge when you essentially click "create galaxy" ...and if so how long does it take to build one? ...or doesn't it work like that? :)

Not Dr. Kay; but I suspect the systems aren't created until they're visited.

They probably use the same random seed (system name maybe, or system coordinates?) for the procedural generation, which would ensure the system make up would be the same regardless of who discovers it first and when.

Not Dr. Kay; but I suspect the systems aren't created until they're visited.

They probably use the same random seed (system name maybe, or system coordinates?) for the procedural generation, which would ensure the system make up would be the same regardless of who discovers it first and when.

They are generated from the seed when a pilot jumps to the system, until a player jumps into a system even FDEV have no idea what's there. I mean yes they can run the seed manually to generate the system and see what's there, add assets that are put into the system once the seed is run, change the contents, but all that's done post procedural generation, and with 400b star systems most of which aren't explored it's unlikely they have any idea of what's in more than a few dozen systems out there that players haven't visited.

Are the biological phenomena on planet surfaces procedurally generated the same way? They tend to be clustered around nebulae. Out in the deep black away from any features visible on the map, could interesting POI be generated or are those things all curated content? My limited experience with deep space exploration showed me basically nothing but lifeless icy bodies and barren HMC worlds and offered no evidence that anything interesting exists out there besides whats found around nebulae.

Are the biological phenomena on planet surfaces procedurally generated the same way? They tend to be clustered around nebulae. Out in the deep black away from any features visible on the map, could interesting POI be generated or are those things all curated content? My limited experience with deep space exploration showed me basically nothing but lifeless icy bodies and barren HMC worlds and offered no evidence that anything interesting exists out there besides whats found around nebulae.

Bio is a procedural layer on top of the galaxy model. Some cluster around nebula because "nebula" is one of the requirements of that life form, many others, most in fact, just hang around in empty space. The procedural seed of the bio no doubt contains data about what conditions are required by different types of bio and won't spawn that bio in a system that doesn't fit the requirements, some of these requirement are star type, planet type, galactic region, nebula and probably many other we don't know about yet. It should be interesting to see what they do with the new stuff in Odyssey though, will they have unique bio proceduraly generated per planet or will they stick to the current model?

So, given only two questions from this thread we're asked during the livestream, are we going to get any more answered?
I think they used up alot of time rambling and didn't fit as much in as they hoped they would. I kinda got the feeling everyone wanted to carry on talking but were forced to stop because of time...

They were going to get back with more answers on Friday. Which, as you may have noticed, didn't happen. Monday is a new week, so they'll probably forget. Never mind - you'll get the answers when the Alpha starts :)
To get those answers, we need open letters and influenzas posting videos demanding the answers on the threat of imminent DOOM of E: D.

Top Bottom