Ask Your Planetary Tech Questions!

question:
Is there enough capacity in the stellar gorge to add weather effects (wind/rain, etc) and is this something that could be hypothetically added in a future upgrade.

I can see how Ceres with its 40% water could have been used in terraforming, but martian moons were perfect for hollowed out asteroid station or generational ships. Either way all disappeared after Mars was terraformed, as I understand it.

No, they were at the exact height and orbit where they would have cut the tether of a space elevator around every 30 hours. There have been suggestion that you could put a harmonic wave into the tether to move it out of the way every time a moon passed close, but it would be much easier to just drop them onto mars. Ideally an asteroid station would act as the counterweight for the far end of the tether so that you could dock and just hop on the elevator to go to ground level, but the existing moons are to fragile to take the stress of being converted to a station, they are more like compact collections of gravel than solid nickel-iron that you would want for a station.

No, just drop them to the surface or propel them away, that's the only solution.

Oh yes not sure if you made a mistake there, Ceres is a long way from Mars and very large, very hard to move, at 476km radius it's larger than many of the small moons we can land on and I don't think you would be pushing that around. Better off getting 100% water ice from Saturn's rings and shoving that in the right direction, or comets, they would do a good job as well.

Last edited:
question:
Is there enough capacity in the stellar gorge to add weather effects (wind/rain, etc) and is this something that could be hypothetically added in a future upgrade.

The Stellar Forge doesn't do wind and rain, that's down to the procedural process that makes the planets, these things are of necessity different because you can't change the procedural key that makes the galaxy, so the planets themselves, apart from the size, shape and composition, can be changed proceduraly without affecting the galaxy itself. It's likely that the atmospherre, wind, rain clouds etc are seperate again from the creation of the planetary surface so you can adjust that without changing the planetary surface.

I don't get the cave fascination either. This isnt Oblivion. Its a space game. Just send a limpet into hard to reach places and have it bring back a canister that looks like all the other canisters floating in space. What are you hoping to find? Vampires?

cave worm.gif

I don't get the cave fascination either. This isnt Oblivion. Its a space game. Just send a limpet into hard to reach places and have it bring back a canister that looks like all the other canisters floating in space. What are you hoping to find? Vampires?
Im under the impression caves would be really boring unless there is some kind of danger to them - possibly some kind of dangerous alien lifeform, which is a long way off and wouldnt really fit with the rest of the game (currently, i dont know how/if it'll change in the future). IMO, more thargoid and guardian (even guardian AI) structures to walk around in/explore/scavenge/search/investigate would work alot better and fit with the current game.

Yes but they can make their own caves and dig tunnels, I can't see that ever happening in ED.

While they CAN do that, a lot of players enjoy exploring the dungeons and caves themselves in order to find things. I do agree that I dont see players being able to dig in ED though.

Top Bottom