Any Ryzen VR users here?

Built my first ever AMD based PC a few weeks ago. Have only ever built intel since days of 486sx.

Piezen 1700.
Giga gaming 5 motherboard.
16 GB DDR4 4000mhz C18 Teamgroup

It's early days with DDR issues and waiting for better bios/agesa support.

3.925ghz and ram is currently limited to 3.4ghz but I got it to 2600mhz briefly. Ram is only one day old.

Previous CPU was i5 2500k at 4.8ghz.

I'm running HTC Vive so I need all the FPS I can get but I chose Ryzen because I also do 3d rendering and I've become disillusioned with intel. Got sick of rising prices and rising temperatures with their lack of IHS welding.

Running VR on a Ryzen CPU is not as crazy as some might think, in VR it is important to have a stable frame rate with minimum time at low frame rate.

In terms of length of time below 60FPS, using a 1080GTX at 1080p in GTA5, Anandtech reports the 1700X and 1800X outperforming an i5 coffee lake and your 1700 easily outperforms the new i7 coffee lake CPU.

See for yourself here https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1853

EDIT: For anyone about to build a new PC and thinking I need to investigate those time at low frame rates (especially if you want to encode and record/stream your games)... The next gen ryzen will be here early next year and they will have a nice IPC increase plus major gains from improved manufacturing (12nm), expect to see gains in total >20% over current gen.

The next gen AMD chip is arriving around the same time as the Pimax 8K, then I will be taking a serious look at time at low FPS, the 99th percentile and average FPS when streaming.

Last edited:
Running VR on a Ryzen CPU is not as crazy as some might think, in VR it is important to have a stable frame rate with minimum time at low frame rate.

In terms of length of time below 60FPS, using a 1080GTX at 1080p in GTA5, Anandtech reports the 1700X and 1800X outperforming an i5 coffee lake and your 1700 easily outperforms the new i7 coffee lake CPU.

See for yourself here https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1853

EDIT: For anyone about to build a new PC and thinking I need to investigate those time at low frame rates (especially if you want to encode and record/stream your games)... The next gen ryzen will be here early next year and they will have a nice IPC increase plus major gains from improved manufacturing (12nm), expect to see gains in total >20% over current gen.

The next gen AMD chip is arriving around the same time as the Pimax 8K, then I will be taking a serious look at time at low FPS, the 99th percentile and average FPS when streaming.

Looks promising for the future. I've had mixed feelings about the ryzen since building it... AMD is out of my comfort zone but I am getting used to it now. Early days with the memory support and bios updates.

Ryzen CPUs should be well suited for VR. I intend to make one up myself at some point.

From what I've seen on benchmarks... piezen does better above 1080 and of course VR is higher res. Single core performance has been a concern though... DCS World with some aircraft in VR = unplayable. Mig 21 with all those analog dials with HTC Vive was unplayable on my old i5 2500k and pretty much the same on piezen 1700.

I am making headway with the overclocking though. With beta bios from gigabyte the ram now goes above 2933. Stable at 3450mhz but I want to get it to at least 3600 (boots but crashes).
I am using offset vcore and a trick with multiplier frequency to enable offset voltage energy saving. Thus my piezen goes to 3.925ghz on load with higher volts but the volts and clock speed drops low at idle.
Will get to 4ghz using this method.

At 3.925mhz the CPU temp is 60 or below with liquid cooling on a single 120mm radiator.

Looks promising for the future. I've had mixed feelings about the ryzen since building it... AMD is out of my comfort zone but I am getting used to it now. Early days with the memory support and bios updates.

From what I've seen on benchmarks... piezen does better above 1080 and of course VR is higher res. Single core performance has been a concern though... DCS World with some aircraft in VR = unplayable. Mig 21 with all those analog dials with HTC Vive was unplayable on my old i5 2500k and pretty much the same on piezen 1700.

I am making headway with the overclocking though. With beta bios from gigabyte the ram now goes above 2933. Stable at 3450mhz but I want to get it to at least 3600 (boots but crashes).
I am using offset vcore and a trick with multiplier frequency to enable offset voltage energy saving. Thus my piezen goes to 3.925ghz on load with higher volts but the volts and clock speed drops low at idle.
Will get to 4ghz using this method.

At 3.925mhz the CPU temp is 60 or below with liquid cooling on a single 120mm radiator.

ED does use multicor3 and your threads. So for ED, the more the merrier. Also I believe more and more games in the future will be using more then one core. You are pretty much future proofed. Also AMDs next gen CPUs will be using the same socket, so you can upgrade. Unlike he Intel's cpus which I think has been a bit of a con.

I use the Ryzen 1800x combined with a OC'ed 1080ti (Zotac) and it runs perfectly. 4k all Ultra 90-120fps. VR with ED Profiler and 2.0 HMD Quality and almost everything on Ultra also no frame drops at all.

Ryzen 1700X Gigabyte B350 Gaming MB with 16GByte Memory ..and.. Radeon RX 480 GPU. Run it at mostly high and ultra with 1.0 super sampling and 1.50 on the 3D over sampling. Get a great experience with some glitches.

Overall it's working great even though it's not a $2,000 system. I get good accuracy and very few screen tears.

My next project is to upgrade to VEGA or NAVI depending on how the availability and pricing work out.

Ryzen 1700x + asus prime x370 pro + 1080ti + 16gb corsair dominator, gotta love them marketing names.

everything at stock with memory at 2144 for now. i'm too scared to mess with it.

1 week old system, may my poor old fx8350 / r390 rest in silicon heaven and ebay.

ED does use multicor3 and your threads. So for ED, the more the merrier. Also I believe more and more games in the future will be using more then one core. You are pretty much future proofed. Also AMDs next gen CPUs will be using the same socket, so you can upgrade. Unlike he Intel's cpus which I think has been a bit of a con.

That's great about future Ryzen on same socket. Do we know how many threads ED uses?

I use the Ryzen 1800x combined with a OC'ed 1080ti (Zotac) and it runs perfectly. 4k all Ultra 90-120fps. VR with ED Profiler and 2.0 HMD Quality and almost everything on Ultra also no frame drops at all.

1080ti is massively powerful. I considered ditching my 1070 a week ago and going insane on an 1080ti.

Ryzen 1700X Gigabyte B350 Gaming MB with 16GByte Memory ..and.. Radeon RX 480 GPU. Run it at mostly high and ultra with 1.0 super sampling and 1.50 on the 3D over sampling. Get a great experience with some glitches.

Overall it's working great even though it's not a $2,000 system. I get good accuracy and very few screen tears.

My next project is to upgrade to VEGA or NAVI depending on how the availability and pricing work out.

Amazed at the difference supersampling makes. 1.5 looks amazing. Proving slightly too much for my system at the moment but I have further optimising to do.

If only FD would support multigpu rendering (liquidvr).. and if they switch to directx 12.. :eek:

That would bring a massive boost in performance. I notice IL2 flight sim supports multi GPU. DX12 in VR would be great.

Ryzen 1700x + asus prime x370 pro + 1080ti + 16gb corsair dominator, gotta love them marketing names.

everything at stock with memory at 2144 for now. i'm too scared to mess with it.

1 week old system, may my poor old fx8350 / r390 rest in silicon heaven and ebay.

You need to get the piezen out of the 2133mhz memory pit. CCW communication tied to ram clock thus you're slowing your piezen quite a lot.

Funny you should say that considering I watched this 8700k vs 1700 youtube vid today, i have tried to time it at the point where he talks about ryzen and memory speed.

Top Bottom