Any "Gold" rush right now?

Just out of curiosity, have you actually mined?

Nope but I take a perverse sense of pleasure that my first time doing it will be in the most decadent, splendorous, and expensive of the 'big 3'. Take that "progression" trolls :p

Plus I've been watching tons of mining videos from Down to Earth Astronomy guy, so I got this. What could go wrong?? :ROFLMAO: ;)

Oh I just read your post again, but yeah, supposedly for this loop you don't actually mine. You take the mining mission, then buy the required commodity on the cheap close by.

Last edited:
Nope but I take a perverse sense of pleasure that my first time doing it will be in the most decadent, splendorous, and expensive of the 'big 3'.

Plus I've been watching tons of mining videos from Down to Earth Astronomy guy, so I got this. What could go wrong?? :ROFLMAO: ;)

Oh I just read your post again, but yeah, supposedly for this loop you don't actually mine. You take the mining mission, then buy the required commodity on the cheap close by.
Or you buy it first and then you accept the mission when it is already sitting in your hold:)

I did it this way supplying "stations under repair" Buy something that was being asked for on the boards as well as wanted items for repair, It made more profitable runs and reduced NPC activity (using T9) and as a bonus I ranked up with both as well.

The anaconda is an apex predator for mining as it is. The cutter holds more but you get paid the best by stacking a bunch of the smaller mining missions. You can collect a ton of G5 materials that way by opting for the materials reward. Single large wing mining missions will crush your desire to mine. Mine 1273 bertrandite for 50 million. Goodluck getting that done with your eyeballs intact.

I would suggest just playing the game instead of asking everything be handed to you on a platter. Damn near everything you do in the game generates obscene amounts of credits.
Never taken to this kind of attitude seeing as the game is a grind that not everybody has mumma's basement style free time to be entertaining.

Odd to see this thread pop up again just after the end of a major goldrush.

Well, there was an opportunity to earn up to 10 billion in a couple of CG's, but not anymore...

It turns out that CGs are worth doing for the credits once more.
Ummm. I amassed some 8.7 Bn in my two accounts this week!

[2x top 10% in the Fed CG paying 4.1bn each and top 25% paying 680mil in the other CG just before it was closed]

That comment of mine was a few months ago. I'm amazed at how right I turned out to be. Could I be a prophet or something? I have to admit I didn't see all the downsides though. :)
I did it initially because I thought that the KWS could be useful and I had just topped off my encoded data at Jameson's so it was an easy win... Then after T1 I saw what it was paying, and couldn't turn that pay day down!

Never taken to the kind of attitude of necroing a thread only to offend a single poster in it either, but hey, you do you.
It's true though. Some people here ignore the very fact Elite Dangerous has become a VIP club by design. Only those who grind to death have a chance of really appreciating anything the game has to offer. Not everybody has 100'a of hours to commit, and although other games do likewise, doesn't excuse the fact this game really takes the cake with it in places. So this whole "I can do it, so so can you" mentality isn't what I call a good attitude. And besides, nobody expects things handed to them on a silver platters they just want the game to offer better gameplay and a more manageable means of getting things done as opposed to being told to grind grind grind boring gameplay mechanics.

It's true though. Some people here ignore the very fact Elite Dangerous has become a VIP club by design. Only those who grind to death have a chance of really appreciating anything the game has to offer. Not everybody has 100'a of hours to commit, and although other games do likewise, doesn't excuse the fact this game really takes the cake with it in places. So this whole "I can do it, so so can you" mentality isn't what I call a good attitude. And besides, nobody expects things handed to them on a silver platters they just want the game to offer better gameplay and a more manageable means of getting things done as opposed to being told to grind grind grind boring gameplay mechanics.

So you are one of those that think they should be able to play 3h per week and have the very same achievements as the ones that are able to play 15h per week.
And not only that, but they also feel compelled to insult the ones that actually manage to play 15 hours per week.

So you are one of those that think they should be able to play 3h per week and have the very same achievements as the ones that are able to play 15h per week.
And not only that, but they also feel compelled to insult the ones that actually manage to play 15 hours per week.
Not applicable to me because I have poured an obscene amount of time into 3 platforms for Elite Dangerous. But I don't delude myself into thinking that just because I can and do makes it OK that Elite demands it of me in certain areas, especially when taking into appreciation that some people simply do not have the time to invest, even if they want to.

I'm reacting to the guy who thinks people should suck it up and just play rather than expecting things on a silver platter. I've seen others who advocate the game should be even more of a grind. I just think the mentality is rubbish when considering the fact Elite is a game and not a second job.

I'll edit in that it bothers me that Elite by design has parity across all platforms and is controlled server side by Frontier, yet they won't transfer full assets across, forcing players to start over or settle on credit value, whilst losing all other features - cosmetics, ships and engineering etc. Grind all over again.

Surely this doesn't have to be the case?

"mumma's basement style free time"
Yeah, that's a real mature way of getting your point across.

But to actually address your point: you ask for better gameplay. Fair enough. I enjoy the majority of gameplay the game has to offer, but that's just me and I can see there's lots of room for improvement.
Your other point.. I can't stress how much I disagree. Credits are so frigging easy to come by. Really. You don't need hours and hours of grinding to acquire any "means to get things done". Bounty hunting, running missions, a bit of mining, trading. You name the activity, it brings in credits by the millions. (I won't even mention the latest CG)
Now if salvaging or piracy are the only activities you enjoy, you're screwed. Aside from that? Credits are plentiful.

"mumma's basement style free time"
Yeah, that's a real mature way of getting your point across.

But to actually address your point: you ask for better gameplay. Fair enough. I enjoy the majority of gameplay the game has to offer, but that's just me and I can see there's lots of room for improvement.
Your other point.. I can't stress how much I disagree. Credits are so frigging easy to come by. Really. You don't need hours and hours of grinding to acquire any "means to get things done". Bounty hunting, running missions, a bit of mining, trading. You name the activity, it brings in credits by the millions. (I won't even mention the latest CG)
Now if salvaging or piracy are the only activities you enjoy, you're screwed. Aside from that? Credits are plentiful.
It was deliberate humour towards those particular attitudes, so don't take it to heart. Or was it you I first quoted? 🤔

Credits ain't the issue, even when the game will start to sink those in time with fully laden Carriers. It's the fact you must grind out mats and engineer etc if you want to stand a chance in Open. Missions are uninspired and a whole lot of what Frontier offer as gameplay is usually drab. Look at Powerplay for one. Awful gameplay to be part of. As for the recent CG, another prime example if you wanted to actually get in the top 75% unless like me you happened to have plenty built up for years and knew of key sites you could "exploit" if desired. But the gameplay was relogs, trade materials, then spend ages watching a counter as you handed them in. Ridiculous, really. Not everyone has the kind of time to invest that this game demands and the reason it bothers me is because the game does have great potential and needs as much players to sustain it for the longer term.

I think the passive "Just play and suck it up" style attitude triggers me because I believe Frontier feel all too aware of it to the point of deliberate development negligence.

Last edited:
@Miko it's not negligence, it's that their development model is to pad the amount of time everything requires instead of creating actual content. Hence the irritating cucumber scanner being developed with a whopping ~40 plants to scatter across an entire galaxy.

It was deliberate humour towards those particular attitudes, so don't take it to heart. Or was it you I first quoted? 🤔

Credits ain't the issue, even when the game will start to sink those in time with fully laden Carriers. It's the fact you must grind out mats and engineer etc if you want to stand a chance in Open. Missions are uninspired and a whole lot of what Frontier offer as gameplay is usually drab. Look at Powerplay for one. Awful gameplay to be part of. As for the recent CG, another prime example if you wanted to actually get in the top 75% unless like me you happened to have plenty built up for years and knew of key sites you could "exploit" if desired. But the gameplay was relogs, trade materials, then spend ages watching a counter as you handed them in. Ridiculous, really. Not everyone has the kind of time to invest that this game demands and the reason it bothers me is because the game does have great potential and needs as much players to sustain it for the longer term.

I think the passive "Just play and suck it up" style attitude triggers me because I believe Frontier feel all too aware of it to the point of deliberate development negligence.
And what triggers me is comments like yours about game demanding too much of your time and being grindy. You pointed out that you know "key sites to exploit" so that basically tells me it is not the game that makes it grindy for you... But your self.

I have currently very little time to play. I wake up at 3:00 AM, two hours before leaving to work so I have about an hour to play there and that is usually all for the day. I love Elite and it is my "second life" in a sense, but sometimes I keep long breaks from it. I play very slowly, I have 1600h clocked in it over the years, I started early 2015. I just recently really got in to engineering. I just recently got in to mining. I just recently got into bounty hunting, which is my current main activity and I just finished my Chieftain build for it, it's called "Cynothoglys". I built it for two weeks. I spend lot's of time to build my ships. And I never sell them, they all have their own story.

I don't use exploits. I got my exploration Elite back in the days when it payed much less. I got my Trade elite WITHOUT 3rd party tools, with pure trading, no mining or passenger missions. I don't have fleet carrier or even funds for it. I don't have Corvette or Cutter (propably never will, allthough Corvette is my dream someday). I have never participated in any money making machine or gold rush. I just play my own game.

Might be that I only move my ship from a to b in one play session. Or kill one pirate. Or just fiddle with my ship loadout. But it is ok, I love every minute of it.

I don't GRIND. All the mats I have collected, are from just playing and doing stuff, fun stuff. I never go out just to collect engineering mats. If I find that I can't do a modification because I'm missing something, then I just don't do it. If it is something I really want to do, then I go to material trader or steer my focus towards activities that might give those mats easier. I may get them, I may not. I always collect almost everything my targets drop and I scan ships as a routine all the time when flying for data mats. So material traders usually do the trick easily for mats I don't have.

What I'm trying to say here is that grind really is in you. Not in the game.

Top Bottom