Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

I don't dismiss the way you want to play your game, nor do I dump all over the portions of the game that allow you to do so.

You want to fly around in the black for six months at a time, pooping in your flight suit and listening to John Denver on repeat as you hit the [J] key, have at it. More power to you. I'm happy that the game allows you to do so.

The Alpha rollout plan specifically lists Phase 3 as the reveal time for exploration features, and instead of you people seeing positive glimpses of what's to come in the early Phases, instead you're all sitting around whining and crying like your spaceship is about to be taken away and you're going to be thrust into a CS:GO session.

You're not. Stop whining.
I should have said The Alan Parson's Project, it would have been funnier.

I don't dismiss the way you want to play your game, nor do I dump all over the portions of the game that allow you to do so.

You want to fly around in the black for six months at a time, pooping in your flight suit and listening to John Denver on repeat as you hit the [J] key, have at it. More power to you. I'm happy that the game allows you to do so.

The Alpha rollout plan specifically lists Phase 3 as the reveal time for exploration features, and instead of you people seeing positive glimpses of what's to come in the early Phases, instead you're all sitting around whining and crying like your spaceship is about to be taken away and you're going to be thrust into a CS:GO session.

You're not. Stop whining.
lol

"I don't dismiss the way you want to play your game, nor do I dump all over the portions of the game that allow you to do so."

Followed by dismissal and dumping all over of said play style.

The lack of self awarness in this post is only matched by the inversely proportionate amount of projection :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I don't really care for FPS in Elite and I probably will ignore it, I'll only be buying the expansion for the new planet types and environments. It's not like anything has been taken away just a shame IMO that so much time and effort has been spent on things I'm not personally interested in. But you can interpret what I say any way you want, have at it, it's good for a laugh.

Also if you don't like "whining and crying" then I don't know what you're doing here of all places.

that so much time and effort has been spent on things I'm not personally interested in
But you don't know how much time and effort has been put into things that you are interested in.

Why don't you be patient and wait to see?

So far the only material criticism I've seen is "we can't walk around on our ships". Well whoopie--do. You can't go to the bathroom and choose what quilt to throw on the bed in your captain's quarters. Perhaps there will be other things for you to do when they roll out exploration stuff in Phase 3.

I should have said The Alan Parson's Project, it would have been funnier.
namm5791zoh11.jpg

So far the only material criticism I've seen is "we can't walk around on our ships".

EDO FPS play being low-tier mediocre, at best, isn't a material criticism? I've been playing FPS games for over a quarter century, and can honestly say that EDO FPS gives me flashbacks to the FPS gameplay from my early FPS days. It's not even fit to hang out in the parking lot of the leagues that contemporary FPS games inhabit. It's certainly not good enough to keep me from logging out of ED and booting up another game for FPS, as I currently do.

Yeah yeah, it's alpha . . . but the reality is that nothing short of a complete overhaul would convince me to engage in EDO FPS rather than boot up the FPS titles I already enjoy. Their gameplay is simply superior, and I don't have to wait on taxi loading screens.

I'm shocked myself to be honest.

But as much as you disagree with or dismiss other players and the way they want to play their game, it shows there is a huge amount of people with opinions contrary to yours.
No it doesn't. The fraction of posters on these forums is negligible and complety unimportant. 2500 posts by the same 150 ppl who post in every thread , the game wouldn't notice a single one missing if they all quit.

EDO FPS play being low-tier mediocre, at best, isn't a material criticism? I've been playing FPS games for over a quarter century, and can honestly say that EDO FPS gives me flashbacks to the FPS gameplay from my early FPS days. It's not even fit to hang out in the parking lot of the leagues that contemporary FPS games inhabit. It's certainly not good enough to keep me from logging out of ED and booting up another game for FPS, as I currently do.

Yeah, you are kinda right, it does kinda give me flashbacks.. Back to Op: Flashpoint in the days when the devs hadn't done FPS stuff before.. That's what EDO feels like to me, FPS components written by a team that had never done it before. It's not that old-school, it has sprint and crouch.. :p That said, it's also been designed for more than run and gun stuff, which we are yet to really see. I also suspect there will be changes..

Yeah yeah, it's alpha . . . but the reality is that nothing short of a complete overhaul would convince me to engage in EDO FPS rather than boot up the FPS titles I already enjoy. Their gameplay is simply superior, and I don't have to wait on taxi loading screens.

Maybe I have different expectations, but I never expected that EDO would give me a perfect FPS experience, it's not that kind of game. What I was expecting was a 'foot' based add on for ED that has some new things and recycles some old things. As for loading screens, I'd rather hop a ride on an Apex taxi than walk 10km like I've done in Arma3 - only to discover I'd missed the firefight and my ride off the island..

I'm still hoping dirtlegs exploration is good and makes EDO worth purchasing. For all my dislike of what EDO has shown so far, I'd still be irritated at not having all the expansions despite it not being anything I want. 😐

I play VR FPS games...so to say I lack interest in the FPS part of Odyssey is an understatement - but hey look, at least I know what I am getting from FD with Odyssey.

Cooler looking planets, ship explosions, and a bunch of other ship related content that I care about and can enjoy for another 100 hours or so.

The on foot FPS is generic, the AI can be easily exposed, and the missions and locations are going to get boring and repetitive just like all the other missions in the game. The hell if I am going to play that in VR theater mode.

The on foot FPS is generic, the AI can be easily exposed, and the missions and locations are going to get boring and repetitive just like all the other missions in the game. The hell if I am going to play that in VR theater mode.

The FPS gameplay needs to be solid, engaging and entertaining, else after a month or so the mechanic(s) risk collecting dust for many/most CMDRs. Add to this the current time sponges sandwiching it, so it's entirely possible you regularly have to sit there doing little/nothing for more time than the FPS gameplay you wish to undertake, is that going to help the experience?

It depends, FPS games is a very broad brush, you got all kinds of FPS, CoD and battlefield, to ArmA / DayZ type of games, so it depends what you prefer actually.

Yeah, you are kinda right, it does kinda give me flashbacks.. Back to Op: Flashpoint in the days when the devs hadn't done FPS stuff before..
Cold War Crisis jumped into my mind today - specifically the level that starts with you in a forest being hunted by Soviet troops and having to leg it quick-sharp. I’d got in a tussle with some Odyssey commandos, run out of health and shield packs, and decided to take to my heels - out into the darkness with only enemy fire illuminating my path. The gasping breathing after a short distance also sounded Flashpoint-familiar 😅

Happily, this time I was able to make my rendezvous with the escape craft!

Top Bottom