Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

Which one?

Which ~6 systems?
Lol to that 2nd point :D
Respectively:

And (actually 7 since I added Polaris):
Witch's Reach (2 G type stars, one planet named “Cauldron”)
4 Sextantis
HIP 54530
HR 4413
LFT 509
LHS 2921
Polaris

I know where Polaris is located, roughly where are the others located? (counting North as towards the ctr of the galaxy).
They’re all in the bubble! I’ve tagged them in my galmap for reference. Paste their names into the galmap search tab! 😁

I suspect Polaris will be related to the Thargoid storyline and a permit obtainable from them at some stage; I think this was the case in one of the preceding versions.

Ah ok, interesting, and nah knowing their all in the bubble is good enough for me thanks :).

Re Polaris yea agreed, wasn't it the Thargoids homeworld in Elite 3?

Ah ok, interesting, and nah knowing their all in the bubble is good enough for me thanks :).

Don’t know. Stopped playing Elite 1. When I got to Elite, cos I thought that was the end. Didnt know there was Elite 2 & 3 until I read references to them in the forum after starting ED! 😉

But I think the fact that these are in the bubble is relevant!
(Somehow...)

Nah, Polaris was just a, I dunno, staging ground?

In FFE, you go to Polaris and there's INRA presence, and a Thargoid Shuttle. If you're doing Argent's Quest #2, and you dock at the shuttle, you get teleported to Miacke, which is much further away. This is (apparently) a system with a Thargoid station, with heaps of Thargoid ships in orbit, which is suffering from the mycoid.

Of course, none of this is particularly canon anymore, as we all know Jameson actually attacked them with the Mycoid now (which was an alternate, though IIRC broken/incomplete path in FFE.

So, no, Polaris definitely not the Thargoid homeworld

Nah, Polaris was just a, I dunno, staging ground?

In FFE, you go to Polaris and there's INRA presence, and a Thargoid Shuttle. If you're doing Argent's Quest #2, and you dock at the shuttle, you get teleported to Miacke, which is much further away. This is (apparently) a system with a Thargoid station, with heaps of Thargoid ships in orbit, which is suffering from the mycoid.

Of course, none of this is particularly canon anymore, as we all know Jameson actually attacked them with the Mycoid now (which was an alternate, though IIRC broken/incomplete path in FFE.

So, no, Polaris definitely not the Thargoid homeworld
There is a fair chance that Miacke matches COL 70 sector fy-n c21-3. The position is at about the same distance from both Sol and the Pleiades.
It's not possible to match it exactly, as the FFE map is tilted and real stars are in a mirrored position (Galactic coordinates are imported with wrong sign, horisontally).

There is a fair chance that Miacke matches COL 70 sector fy-n c21-3. The position is at about the same distance from both Sol and the Pleiades.
It's not possible to match it exactly, as the FFE map is tilted and real stars are in a mirrored position (Galactic coordinates are imported with wrong sign, horisontally).
Yeah, i did consider trying to work that out, but tbh, couldn't be bothered :)

Doesnt match star class and in the wrong galactic direction as Miackce was far towards galactic north from Polaris, estimating distance from original games galaxy towards elite makes Miackce in around where between lagoon and eagle nebula is although they could have retconned this however alot of other systems that where in the original are mapped by direction correctly to an extent.

Soooo, this is my contribution to the tin-foil-hattery, i have decided to put this up here as i have been exploring for 2 days now and found absolutely nothing :D :'(
Im presuming that pretty much all of you are familiar with the map you can decode with a spectral analyiser from the audio clip that plays when you activate the thargoid map room site (if not, heres a cleaned up copy of it), well its this annoying map ive been trying to crack.
thargoid map.png

So, my whole theory about this is that it is some sort of quadratic map, the community has already pretty much confirmed that the stsyem map on the left hand side is the Star system Merope, and I am assuming that due to the presence of the 3 thargoid devices (yes i know they have different names but oh well :p) above the bottom mesh sphere that this represents the System HIP 14909 where the map room is located.
the three groupings of dashes (-) and lines (I) seem to me to be Binary code for the numbers 1, 2, and 3, group 1 being 001 or the number 1, Group 2 being 010 or the number 2, and Group 3 being 011 or the number 3.
This is where things get a bit convoluted...
I am assuming that 123 refers to a distance in light years between each of the four points of a quadratic map, however the distance between Merope and HIP 14909 is exactly 111.29Ly... this got me thinking.... so our measurement of a Light Year is based on the time it takes OUR home planet to orbit OUR sun right? meaning that a thargoids measurement of a light year would be totally different!
So, assuming this is the case, the unknown star systems would both be approximately 111.29Ly away from either Merope or HIP 14909, forming a square with nearly equidistant points.
The main problem i have been having is that there is no database that includes unscanned or undiscovered systems for me to cross-reference with so i am having to literally fly around each known star system scanning everything between 110 and 124 light years (just to be sure) distant from it and hope i either find a match for the unknown system map, or presumably bump into some thargoids and get my face corroded off.
Im on my second day of system checking and the total boredom of flying thousands of light years in a giant sphere 250LY wide is starting to get to me (surprise there lol XD)
I was hoping we could organise a kind of mass scanning and astrometric mission to at least give my theory a go, theres a hell of a lot of unknown systems within that proverbial drag net and it would take me a hell of a long time to go through each system alone.

Happy Flying Commanders, i hope this is at least a bit intriguing :)

Last edited:
A lot of effort went into decoding that map, see the old Canonn threads (now archived but still available, you may need to use Google Advanced Search). The system on the right seems to be Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 ( assumed to be the Thargoid home system, the analysis of this from the Probe narrow beam messages was interesting and worth a read).

Don’t know why you’re assuming 123 is a distance. The map seems to be giving instructions for the steps in finding a thargoid surface site from a known surface site using three alien devices- a thargoid sensor, probe and link. From my recorded notes (don’t know who set these down):
Go to a known Site.
- activate the Thargoid Device in the central chamber with your UP, UA and UL
-you get 3 messages, record them, each message represents a different system with further surface sites
  • go into space and play your UL one of the messages.
  • an answer is transmitted in the narrow beam that contains the coordinates for a new site. Take note of what message you used.
  • decipher that message (see Canonn webpage)
  • go to the new system
  • play the message to your UL again
-the UL will now point to the surface site in the system (seem to remember it emits a laser beam pointer).

Edit: easiest way to achieve clear recordings is to go deep-space (far off any gravitational body) & drop out of SC, Zero throttle and eject UL - target it. Turn your ship around so that it aims at the UL and look at UL’s orientation on lower left HUD, turn your ship until the HUD shows you are aligned with the UL dish (the wall thickness around dish needs to be equal, distance in ASP around 31m, though in T6 can go up to approx 24m)
Switch off background music and all other sound sources, start recording.

There are a few tricks to assist your audio detection rate:
If you can change "Windows Sounds, Playback-devices" the you device and the tab for "Advanced". Select 24Bit 48000HZ or better
In Elite, Audio options: Select "Night Time" mode. And you can safely disable music. (Screenshot provided at the end of the video)
Fly as silent as you possibly can. F/A Off will turn off the engines. Intermittently turn F/A on if you need to adjust your course
Better still switch to your external camera and move as close to the source of the noise as you can leaving your ship at a distance.

To activate the thargoid device transfer a UA and UP to your SRV and then drive to the antechamber where the UL drops down, shoot a UL so it drops to the floor, then head over to the machine and deposit the UA and UP. Then head back to antechamber and pick up UL and take it to the machine and deposit. SRV will take corrosive damage the entire time. The three unknown items drop to the floor at the beginning of the light show and you can scoop them up with the SRV. But just two at a time, so two trips back to the ship for all 3.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out how I can use EDDB/bodies, EDSM/bodies or Spansh/bodies to find something and something else in a system, but failing at the moment. Say a NS and a water giant, or a Red Dwarf and an ELW, or a Wolf Rayet and a NS.
Any ideas?

Just a quick one for the followers of this thread.

I got confirmation from FD the other week that the Space Dredgers hadn't made it into the live game.

(I realise that it was generally accepted that that was the situation, but I'd never been able to find any actual confirmation of it from FD.)

Confirmation was on the livestream on Thursday 25th June. Time was around 19:30 - 19:35. I can't find a recording of the stream at the moment, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'd asked the CMs if they could check the situation a few weeks prior to that (as they wouldn't have been around for it so chances are they wouldn't even know what I was talking about), so just asked if there was any news about it and Stephen confirmed the situation, and said the devs knew it had been getting asked about.

o7

this got me thinking.... so our measurement of a Light Year is based on the time it takes OUR home planet to orbit OUR sun right? meaning that a thargoids measurement of a light year would be totally different!
Umm... no, a "light year" is how far light travels in a year. It has nothing to do with the orbit of the Sun or any terrestrial things.

It's a universal constant that exists throughout the universe - roughly 186,000 miles per second.

Top Bottom