Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

I'm still here but I am having a seriously hard time getting my mojo back I'm afraid.

In my wildest nightmares for Odyssey I imagined a lot of stuff would be added to the game that wouldn't interest me (e.g. I was never that excited about the idea of on-foot gameplay) but as an absolute minimum I thought that flying under blue skies would be cool, that there might be improvements to things like bookmarking and that atmospheric planets would bring a world of exciting new possibilities and that planning the next great planetary expedition would be an exciting possibility. But I never imagined that the UI's would be changed in ways I absolutely hate and in ways that really make me feel it's designers just don't play the game. I never imagined the performance would tank so badly that I don't even enjoy doing the stuff I used to do (or that flying under a blue sky would feel so eurgh). I never imagined the lighting would be so horrible in general that, aside from sunrise and sunset vistas, most things would look worse (e.g. ask yourself why we're not seeing hundreds of screenshots of people on foot at Thargoid bases and Guardian sites ... because they just don't look good). And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel currently has no plans for DW3, the bad news goes on and on.

And I've never liked to highlight negatives in this thread, so for now I'm remaining vigilant, but quiet.
Pretty much mirrored my overall opinion and well stated sir.

I now feel bad contributing to the general malaise. As a counterpoint there's some good stuff here ... I guess ... if you read between the negatives.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel is sad (and has currently abandoned plans for DW3), the bad news goes on and on. Even the Turning The Wheel project has fizzled out (and that's on Frontier too).

I am doing what I do, plodding around the galaxy looking at the sights waiting for the planetary tech to get fixed. It's plainly obvious that it's not working as intended, but the amount of people who are acting as though this is it, I find baffling.

I did just want to say that DW3 wasn't going to happen at least until the console release anyway. And I am confused as to why the Turning the Wheel project not doing what they wanted to happen, is Frontier's fault? Unless you expected Frontier to treat them differently to everyone else and undermine over 6 years of other people trying to unlock something?

As for positive things it was posted here, but here is a great video.
Source: https://youtu.be/wEgpnUpXPtI

And I am confused as to why the Turning the Wheel project not doing what they wanted to happen, is Frontier's fault? Unless you expected Frontier to treat them differently to everyone else and undermine over 6 years of other people trying to unlock something?
I expected them to acknowledge it ... somehow ... in some small form. Just a Galnet article, something.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I'm still here but I am having a seriously hard time getting my mojo back I'm afraid.

In my wildest nightmares for Odyssey I imagined a lot of stuff would be added to the game that wouldn't interest me (e.g. I was never that excited about the idea of on-foot gameplay) but as an absolute minimum I thought that flying under blue skies would be cool, that there might be improvements to things like bookmarking and that atmospheric planets would bring a world of exciting new possibilities and that planning the next great planetary expedition would be an exciting prospect. But I never imagined that the UI's would be changed in ways I absolutely hate and in ways that really make me feel its designers just don't play the game. I never imagined the performance would tank so badly that I don't even enjoy doing the stuff I used to do (or that flying under a blue sky would feel so eurgh). I never imagined the lighting would be so horrible in general that, aside from sunrise and sunset vistas, most things would look worse (e.g. ask yourself why we're not seeing hundreds of screenshots of people on foot at Thargoid bases and Guardian sites ... because they just don't look good). And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel is sad (and has currently abandoned plans for DW3), the bad news goes on and on. Even the Turning The Wheel project has fizzled out (and that's on Frontier too).

And I never liked to highlight negatives in this thread, so for now I'm remaining quiet. Vigilant, but quiet.
Break is good sometimes. Recharge the batteries. And hopefully FDEV will come back up with some fixes and EDO will be what we hoped for. At least you can play. I've been stuck in Apex since a few good days now :D :D :D

Also, on Erimus, DW3 and (coincidentally) Turning The Wheel ...

1TameEi.png

I expect Erimus somewhat regrets that post now (and I apolpogise for digging it back up again), but it seems he spoke from the heart and it's a pretty damning statement really.

And yes, "the last of the great community initiatives" has gone utterly un-acknowledged in-game.

Last edited:
Break is good sometimes. Recharge the batteries. And hopefully FDEV will come back up with some fixes and EDO will be what we hoped for. At least you can play. I've been stuck in Apex since a few good days now :D :D :D
Is that the thing where your taxi lands on a planet where it's too hot/cold to get out ... and then just waits for you to get out?

Can't you just re-log to Horizons?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Is the Apex stuck in supercruise? I imagine you have already tried someone interdicting and destroying, no dice?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
For the sixth time now I think?

I expected them to acknowledge it ... somehow ... in some small form. Just a Galnet article, something.
They did acknowledge it in the early stages, but to be blunt what they're doing is no different from any group expanding any Minor Faction. I think they're a little busy right now trying to stabilise things to say well done to some people for gaining another few systems.

I understand a lot of people's frustrations and ones like Erimus' have built up over many years and it seems as though a lot of long time players have lost their composure and forgotten what things have been like for years. Or maybe it is just the repetitive nature of it. ("Turning the Wheel is the last great community imitative" Tell that to the truckers!)

But the way I look at it is there are enough issues with the game itself that need ironing out, that people finding extra things to be annoyed about and put the boot in to Frontier with is not only unhelpful, it's completely unnecessary.

Ive had a break for a while, before Odyssey, and am enjoying the exploration side of things. I've found it's never wise to let your happiness be dependent on on the thoughts and opinions of others. :)

Edit: Although the route plotter is somewhat irking me by forgetting where ive set it to!

Yes the route plotter has never exactly been great... Though it's picked up a few more issues since Odyssey dropped.
Ive got to keep resetting the route if I fly to a planet in a system as although it shows up on the galaxy map, the in-ship plotter just has no clue :) Anyhow, not the place for this, as you were :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ive got to keep resetting the route if I fly to a planet in a system as although it shows up on the galaxy map, the in-ship plotter just has no clue :) Anyhow, not the place for this, as you were :)
No, and this will be the last from me too, apologies Alec. But there is an issue for it here https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/34303
If you have a keybind for 'Next system in route' you can push that and it does remember it :)

They did acknowledge it in the early stages, but to be blunt what they're doing is no different from any group expanding any Minor Faction. I think they're a little busy right now trying to stabilise things to say well done to some people for gaining another few systems.
I should probably drop this but ... that's a bit like saying Distant Worlds is no different to any other group expedition, it's a question of scale. Also, it was never about "gaining another few systems" ... it was a grand experiment to see if another step on the road to Raxxla and/or the discovery of the Dark Wheel's true home could be triggered (not simply another tin foil wild goose chase but a genuine possibility). Considering how significant these things are to the lore of Elite, and how unlikely it is that such a large and focused group effort to make something happen in this regard will likely ever happen again ... sorry, I know Frontier were busy with other things ... but the moment (which has now probably passed) deserved a mention. Perhaps when things settle down it will still get one (better late then never). I hope so.

But the way I look at it is there are enough issues with the game itself that need ironing out, that people finding extra things to be annoyed about and put the boot in to Frontier with is not only unhelpful, it's completely unnecessary.
I hear you ... sorry ... I'll go back to my former position now of trying not to say anything if you can't say something nice (which I'll admit I've not been entirely successfull at).

As someone who has been turning that wheel for the better part of over a year (on and off), those words mean alot Alec! Thanks!

But we are still continuing, just at a low energy state. There are a couple of systems I/We would like to still try however.

But it would be nice to know if we are even on the right track or not ya know.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I should probably drop this but ... that's a bit like saying Distant Worlds is no different to any other group expedition, it's a question of scale. Also, it was never about "gaining another few systems" ... it was a grand experiment to see if another step on the road to Raxxla and/or the discovery of the Dark Wheel's true home could be triggered (not simply another tin foil wild goose chase but a genuine possibility). Considering how significant these things are to the lore of Elite, and how unlikely it is that such a large and focused group effort to make something happen in this regard will likely ever happen again ... sorry, I know Frontier were busy with other things ... but the moment (which has now probably passed) deserved a mention. Perhaps when things settle down it will still get one (better late then never). I hope so.

Initially it was to expand TDW into Sol (expanding a PMF had been tried years previously) but that was concluded as a goal at the beginning of April if I'm not mistaken, so that would have been the time for the Galnet article.

Distant Worlds was probably the first major community operation, and it was a great way for the community to come together and experience the game. Distant Worlds 2 was a similar thing, but they petitioned Frontier to intervene and add assets to the game to tie in with their expedition, maybe that's where the assumption that Frontier would step in and do something if enough fuss was made was borne from.

I've been chasing UAs and mysteries in this game for over 5 years now, everything's a genuine possibility to those who try it ;) I've taken part in my share of things that should have had an impact given the in game information, but didn't. Getting large groups of players together and moving in one direction is certainly tricky, and to be commended whenever people manage it. But when you're wrapped up in them it can be hard to detach yourself and look at things pragmatically. It certainly won't be the last.

I hear you ... sorry ... I'll go back to my former position now of trying not to say anything if you can't say something nice (which I'll admit I've not been entirely successfull at).
That was not directed solely at you, but mainly the things you were mentioning. I'll say again that I think it's perfectly fine to highlight issues where they exist, and not only that it's right to do so. But often the lines between an actual issue and a personal grievance are once again becoming blurred. All in my opinion. 💜

I now feel bad contributing to the general malaise.
Please don't apologize. This is what makes you a very trustworthy voice in the Elite community. The "white knights" are those who blindly "love" EVERYTHING Frontier does, regardless if it's good or bad. Because of this, I can't trust them at all. The haters are the same but opposite. People like you, you're legit, and I appreciate that.

I once told my wife when she accused me of being too honest regarding questions like, "Does this dress make me look fat?" that, "Consider this, when I do say something like, 'Wow, you look great in that dress!' you know I'm telling the truth and not just flattering you." She has come to appreciate my honesty (and vice-versa) rather than dishonest flattery, the latter of which has been the demise of more than one relation I'm my circle of friends.

So the next time you have something good to say about Elite, I'm going to believe what you have to say, because you were not afraid or unwilling to say something bad about Elite when Elite was (is) indeed bad.

I rarely have much input into things, always happy to put an oar in now and again but I have one comment I want to share. Elite Odyssey may be good/ bad depending on your viewpoint, but what I can see is still a really strong and vibrant community spirit going on. I genuinely believe given time that things will work out. I just hope that the Amazing spirit outlasts the time it takes to repair Odyssey.

I for one hope and think it will. Time will tell.

Rant over..I am going to break some ships.

Last edited:
Initially it was to expand TDW into Sol (expanding a PMF had been tried years previously) but that was concluded as a goal at the beginning of April if I'm not mistaken, so that would have been the time for the Galnet article.
I think more hope was pinned on the expansion into LFT 509 to be honest (whose swing and a miss has only just happened and which marks far more of an end-point to the project than the Sol expansion) ... but I wasn't going to go on about it. 😉

Top Bottom