Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

Whether or not you're already familiar with the tragic story of Michael Holyland and his love of Elite: Dangerous, I can strongly recommend the following half hour audio documentary made by the BBC as part of the "This Game Changed My Life" series.

The original forum thread started by Michael's uncle Mat can still be found over here if people want to know more: michaels-journey-through-the-stars

And my incredibly infrequent Video Of The Week award goes to ...

In other news, it's fleet carrier beta 2 so there's a gazillion threads on that which I can't be bothered to link or, if you're bored of fleet carriers (or not rich enough to own one), why not give the latest Buckyball Race a go (which is on now and runs until midnight Sunday).

I chatted about it briefly with @CMDR Kai Zen of Elite Week ..

.. and you can find full details over here ..

Quick heads up for those that haven't heard yet - Lavecon 2020 has now officially (and unsurprisingly) been cancelled. You can hear Karen's announcement of this on this week's Lave Radio over here:

lave-radio-a-podcast-about-elite-dangerous

Trending: Tales of life on (and around) the fleet carrier stand to win a prize and, speaking of which ... getting a fleet carrier to Sagittarius A*.

Last edited:
A couple of new additions to the "regular newsletters, magazines, blogs, etc" section.

Basically I don't usually pay much attention to the fan fiction stuff (not 'cos I don't like it but simply because I never find time to read it) but a couple of things have come to my attention which really deserve a place here.

The first is an episodic Elite Dangerous story, beautifully presented and illustrated on its own website. Entitled "Dreadnaught CNV-301", this is currently into its second season and the creators have just announced that season three (coming 2021) will be fully animated!

And secondly, there's a brilliantly written Elite: Dangerous novel called "Callsign J-KR" which is being released in episodic form on an almost daily basis right here on the forums.

Also, just wanted to showcase the following video from Cpt Toastman which nicely references 2001 A Space Odyssey with its atmospheric depiction of some weird stellar phenomena.

In the "mysterious things and lore" section I've fixed a broken link for masCh KisieL's interactive list of ancient "Guardian" ruin sites and also added a new link to the excellent Hozbase Guardian structure list (which includes layout, blueprint type and ability to sort on distance to reference system).

Guess who's revisiting the Guardians with a view to unlocking some more ships and modules! :)

Trending: Numerous groups and hundreds of commanders (including at least one part time volunteer from Frontier) are trying (possibly in vain, possibly not) to Turn The Wheel in what could easily be the most ambitious BGS project ever undertaken.

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Cmdr @Sanderling for finally managing to complete the Okinura Station Sprint in 2 minutes 0 seconds (those last few seconds have been eluding him for a considerable time now).

For those unfamiliar with the Okinura Station Sprint you can find full details and the leaderboard over here: elite-racers-present-the-okinura-station-sprint-challenge

It's a long standing time trial speed challenge open to all commanders and all types opf ship which requires the pilot to perform two elegantly looped laps of Fisher Terminal in the Okinura system.

Here's the video of Sanderling's record breaking FA Off Viper run, truly a thing of beauty!

Last edited:
Trending: so obviously, the official Odyssey announcement thread, but also another interesting thread collating all the little details (pros and cons) that people have spotted in the teaser trailer plus a thread campaigning for VR support in Odyssey (a thread that might not be necessary if FD would just clarify whether Odyssey does in fact support VR).

Also - I've added a link to Ian Doncaster's quite frankly astounding 82 page census of all the Colonia systems to the "useful reference lists" section.

STOP PRESS

"Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch"

"Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous"

P.S.

"Just to add to this, VR will still be compatible with the base game and Horizons!"

Last edited:
Whether or not you're already familiar with the tragic story of Michael Holyland and his love of Elite: Dangerous, I can strongly recommend the following half hour audio documentary made by the BBC as part of the "This Game Changed My Life" series.

The original forum thread started by Michael's uncle Mat can still be found over here if people want to know more: michaels-journey-through-the-stars
This really is a must watch.

Added the Hozbase list of tourist beacons to the "misc' other useful and/or interesting links" section (man, that Hozbase utilites site is awesome, I suspect not enough people know about it) and also added "fleet carrier cost calculator" (a handy new utility) to the description of Down To Earth Astronomy's excellent Cmdrs Toolbox.

Plus, the AXI now have a brand new website full of brilliant stuff for all you Thargoid bashers! I've linked this from the "mysterious things and lore" section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom