After dabbling in the Alpha, I've decided that I really like Horizons much better.

What I would have liked is for the new game to be an extension of, and fully integrated with, the existing game.

Hop in my ship, take a bounty or cargo mission to a planet. While on the planet, take a mission to go sabotage part of the station, or drive out to some nearby station/building, jump out on foot and take out a Bad Guy of some sort. Then back into my ship to fly somewhere else.

From what I've been reading here, that doesn't appear to be the case. Unfortunately, I had already purchased Odyssey, but I'm not sure if I'll ever play it if it's indeed some kind of stand-alone fps. I can fire up my old Far Cry for that. In this game I want to fly spaceships. :)
Well, it is similar to what you described. Integration to existing mission system could be improved though, and I don't see why they wouldn't.

What I would have liked is for the new game to be an extension of, and fully integrated with, the existing game.

Hop in my ship, take a bounty or cargo mission to a planet. While on the planet, take a mission to go sabotage part of the station, or drive out to some nearby station/building, jump out on foot and take out a Bad Guy of some sort. Then back into my ship to fly somewhere else.

From what I've been reading here, that doesn't appear to be the case. Unfortunately, I had already purchased Odyssey, but I'm not sure if I'll ever play it if it's indeed some kind of stand-alone fps. I can fire up my old Far Cry for that. In this game I want to fly spaceships. :)

Never preorder. Especially not without a worthwhile incentive. It's generally bad for the product.

Or take a look at Valheim, where everything matters and is connected. Elite Dangerous was already conceptually the opposite of that, so I didn't expect any progress for Odyssey in that regard. The game still feels like a bunch of tech demos barely cobbled together. Unfortunately there is actually nothing new here.

But as long as enough people are happy with that and consider it "gameplay", what can possibly go wrong with this strange design decisions?
Valheim is a fantastic game.

Seeing this wonderful list of games with no mention of Rudolph Space Engineers makes me sad...

iu
Dang it you are totally right. SPACE ENGINEERS.

Go to Reddit to see people share things they found, new approaches and tactics that work and so forth. Go to the Dangerous Discussion forums if you want to hear how the the old ways were better, kids these days only like pew-pew, modern corporations don't respect your time and rap isn't real music. On tuesdays we have explorers telling tales of being slapped in the face, milk&cookies are provided.
This isn't that kind of point. There are other games that simply do FPS/view better. Given that there is such a stark division between Odyssey and Horizons (extremely limited if any use of FPS/view on ships), that places Odyssey head to head with those other titles, not truly a complementary / integrated add on to the base game.

Interesting. I hope you are right.
I personally see Odyssey as an awesome addition to ED. Finally we can step out of our ships. I feel like a person in a game world and possibilities for your personal narrative expand quite a bit.

I don't like first person shooters generally and I have tried Frontline Solutions in Odyssey with only one combat drop. Allthough quite cool actually, I prefer other gameplay that Odyssey offers. I carry a weapon, but very rarely use it on a mission.

What I would like impoved in near future is mission integration to current missions. I won't go in details, but I hope Odyssey gameplay will flow more naturally with current gameplay, now you generally decide, if you want to do "Horizons" stuff or "Odyssey" stuff regarding missions.

I would like to see for example bounty hunting missions, where you need to find a targets location by infiltrating hostile base and reach data access terminal inside the base, download target location, get out of base and fly to the aquired location to engage dogfight with target. Gameplay and assets for this kind of missions are there, but this kind of "mixed gameplay" missions are not yet present, not in alpha atleast.

The same words were spoken when Horizons came...."just few of us will do engineering and planetary landings"... ect...trust me, you will do fps segment with a good reason for it...

Eventually yes, once I either need to, or as the feature matures & I adapt my playstyle to encompass the new features :)

There is very little in the game I haven't used, or tried out. The only feature I can think of that I've still got zero interest in is CQC/Arena. I even mine now, to fuel an exploring carrier.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy to give 39€ to help support Frontier and their dev team because so far and bugs aside, they have been doing a fantastic job creating this game so far (even thought I'm en "eliter" since late 1985 on C64)
I'll take what makes me happy in this extension: new planet graphics, thin atmospheres and eventually one or two steps outside, but TBH i have no plans on playing the FPS side of the game, simply because I think that a ton of other games do it much better already. I consider that I'm playing a space sim game and not some kind of kikoolol FPS game which flourish on steam for much cheaper. But I understand that many people will have fun and will be happy with that. Good for them! I would have loved two things above everything else: Walking inside ships, and the icing on the cake a full VR compatibility with Odyssey!.... Too bad, maybe next time, I'm patient anyway...

Frustrated yes, happy to have bought this extension yes, disappointed: yes, will keep scratching the surface on this one: probably yes, looking forward for something much more thrilling in the future: hell yeah!

This isn't that kind of point. There are other games that simply do FPS/view better. Given that there is such a stark division between Odyssey and Horizons (extremely limited if any use of FPS/view on ships)

To be clear, if you dont like something you don't like something, and that is fine. But I don't quite understand what you mean. EDO just adds a new layer to the game. There was 'extremely limited use of the SRV' in ships too, but so what? It was a fun addition to the game, and now there is more. It makes little sense to me to ponder whether I can get a better space buggy in another game, because that isn't the point.

I played the ME trilogy a bunch of times, and you gotta admit: the flying your space ship part is... mediocre at best, and wholly separate from the rest of the game. But it is better than not having it, so I don't hold it against the series that flying ships is more fun in EDO. All these games (CP2077, GTA5, EDO, ME) have a whole bunch of different parts and layers, and rarely are any of them 'best in class'. I dont care: as long as the package is interesting I enjoy all of them.

And that is, as always, just my opinion. If someone doesnt want to do EDO because in their opinion the first person stuff was better in W3, their call. They can also then not play W3 because the horse was better in RDR2, not play RDR2 because the actual shooting was better in ME3, and not play ME3 because the space ships were better in ED.

They'd be missing out on a ton of fun stuff though IMHO. EDO included.

Here is how the Alpha works: you take a mission, say a cargo mission. When you arrive on the planet you can find an 'assassin x' mission. You fly to the location, drive or jump out on foot and take the bad guy out. Then you go back to your ship and fly away.

The only part that isn't really there is that 'leg missions' require you to return to the mission giver, so you fly back rather than somewhere else. Beyond that you describe pretty much how it works.

To be clear, if you dont like something you don't like something, and that is fine. But I don't quite understand what you mean. EDO just adds a new layer to the game. There was 'extremely limited use of the SRV' in ships too, but so what? It was a fun addition to the game, and now there is more. It makes little sense to me to ponder whether I can get a better space buggy in another game, because that isn't the point.

I played the ME trilogy a bunch of times, and you gotta admit: the flying your space ship part is... mediocre at best, and wholly separate from the rest of the game. But it is better than not having it, so I don't hold it against the series that flying ships is more fun in EDO. All these games (CP2077, GTA5, EDO, ME) have a whole bunch of different parts and layers, and rarely are any of them 'best in class'. I dont care: as long as the package is interesting I enjoy all of them.

And that is, as always, just my opinion. If someone doesnt want to do EDO because in their opinion the first person stuff was better in W3, their call. They can also then not play W3 because the horse was better in RDR2, not play RDR2 because the actual shooting was better in ME3, and not play ME3 because the space ships were better in ED.

They'd be missing out on a ton of fun stuff though IMHO. EDO included.
I do completely agree that there isn't a total package game that has a full space and on foot experience completely nailed. I had higher hopes than I should have for Odyssey I suppose.

The spacebuggy was different, and not integrated per se (you don't drive your buggy about your ship), but the material gathering (data, raw and manufactured mats), exploration of guardian, thargoid, and human sites absolutely have rock solid connections with the spaceship game features. The buggy expands the ship experience.

The on foot experience in EDO feels extremely parallel to the ship experience in EDH. Maybe this will be different at full release. I hope so.

EDO on the FPS front is simply not in the same class as those previously mentioned dedicated titles. Getting to the site, returning to the site, the bullet spongieness of the targets, the lack of preferential damage to target areas, stealth etc. are all areas of real concern.

The gun and suit crafting is not appealing when compared to Fallout, survival games, Witcher, Cyberpunk or even Mass Effect. I might grind for mats in those titles, but I have far more control on swapping parts, and I am experiencing character /story progression along that path. I grind for skins and loadouts in Warzone, but I do that by playing the game, not gathering mats.

Exploration in EDO is barely a blip (scan plants), as a game add on. I truly hope that some ship-related enhancement or relevance is revealed.

Let's see if I can use an analogy from one of my favorite game series The Witcher. Gwent is a standalone card game embedded in Witcher 3. You can play through the entire Witcher game and completely ignore Gwent. There are Gwent related main game quests in Witcher, but they are not main story line compromising. Gwent is fun, but it isn't Hearthstone or Magic. EDO feels very much like Gwent. Not an expansion related to the core mechanics, just something on the side. I hope that changes and EDO integrates with the core game better.

Go to Reddit to see people share things they found, new approaches and tactics that work and so forth. Go to the Dangerous Discussion forums if you want to hear how the the old ways were better, kids these days only like pew-pew, modern corporations don't respect your time and rap isn't real music. On tuesdays we have explorers telling tales of being slapped in the face, milk&cookies are provided.

I do agree the forums are a bit more salty. OTOH the sub is 95% screenshots and quite oppressively moderated.

Well apart from the eye candy and few other bits n bobs I'm not looking forward to grind. Seems simplistic unoriginal and childish. How could l have known that I'd have to grind the suits and guns scanners etc.
Guess what. I won't.
I've purchased odyssey so I'll shoot a few peeps and scan some rare things all that crap l never anticipated at all,
Just not looking forward to it.
That's it.. and in all my 40+ years of gaming I've never felt like that prior to an expansion.
Crap mechanics smuggling not addressed.
Crap piracy not addressed.
Bugs in multiplayer wing etc not addressed.
The carrier tunnel of love not addressed.
Just a fps crap shooter done infinitely better by others.
Feel like we've been sold down the river.
I'll post soon enuff once it lands.
In all honestly this was pretty predictable with grind, time sinks, cut'n'paste repetition... and of course shallowness. And no one should be surprised FDev continue to chase new revenue and have zero interest in fixes to the core game and mechanics - been like that since release.

EDO on the FPS front is simply not in the same class as those previously mentioned dedicated titles. Getting to the site, returning to the site, the bullet spongieness of the targets, the lack of preferential damage to target areas, stealth etc. are all areas of real concern.
Stealth is typically what I do in RPGs, including CP2077. Personally I find stealth to be done pretty darn well in EDO. Not perfect, but absolutely on par with other titles. Especially the absence of cones and the predictableness of patrols means patient observing, rather than cone-dancing, pays off. Not an amazing fan of the bullet sponginess either, but having played it a bit I found it not that hard to adjust. My biggest concern is engineering scaling, where the sponginess is too much at first and PvE becomes trivial at the highest grade of gear.

Ultimately though I think it comes down to a nebulous 'feeling'. To me, EDO feels like a logical extension of ED, and one that now I experienced it seems pretty essential to the game. But if it feels different for you, now amount of arguments from me will change that experience. So all I can say is I hope that the final launch version delivers enough for you to enjoy. You seem to have roughly the same number of hours in the game as me, and it would be disappointing if someone who clearly cares about the game is left wanting after what seems a serious time and resource investment by FD.

Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom