This is a follow up from my Dreams vs Nightmares scenarios, which I have done for the Australia pack on Reddit, and SE Asia on the Forums. I'm becoming increasingly confident that this will be the next dlc pack, which will be released on Tuesday, June 29th 2021. I didn't require this before, but please provide context for why you're picking the animals you are. This will also be a more generalized Africa pack, rather than something specific, such as "Southern Africa" or "Madagascar" themed. I feel like they'd probably go for that rather than something specific, but that's just a gut feeling (and hey, I was right about SE Asia being the next pack instead of it just being Asia). Also, I'm ordering my dreams list in order of priority, feel free to do the same.
- Southern White Rhino: When it comes down to the white vs black, I'd go with the white only because from what I can find, it's more common in captivity. Actually, I was surprised just how big the discrepancy is because it seems to be about a 10:1 ratio. I won't be upset if the go with the black over the white however.
- African (Cape) Penguin: Again, from what I can find it's the most common penguin species in captivity. It's also an endangered species, which I feel like boosts it's popularity for some, though it's not singularly important to me. It contrasts quite nicely to the King penguin that we already have because it does very well in warm climates, and can be kept outside year round in a fair amount of place. South Africa can also get decently cold so while they aren't going to be fine with extremes, they're still pretty hardy. And honestly, we really just need another penguin species.
- Meerkat: I'm not sure how much I really need to elaborate here. It's one of the top 10 quintessential zoo animals and it's absence has been felt since initial release. We do also just generally need more small mammals to fill in spots in our zoo.
- Fennec Fox: I'd also accept the bat-eared fox in this spot. I would ultimately choose the Fennec fox because it is more of a desert dwelling animal, and we are very much lacking in representation for that at the moment. I would also venture to guess that it's the more popular choice amongst the player base due to being in ZT2 and just generally being considered cute.
- Helmeted Guinea fowl: This animal has steadily risen from something I originally didn't care to have to something that I absolutely want. Not only is it a bird, which we are severely lacking in, but it is a bird that can be kept in very large numbers and comfortably alongside a number of other African species. In fact it seems to be quite common in shared African habitats across the world. It's also a unique looking ground bird, something you don't always see, especially when females in other species can look quite dull.
- Serval: I keep going back and forth with this and the caracal, but ultimately I just personally happen to like servals more. I really want a unique enrichment item that shows off the jumping abilities of servals, like a suspended cat feeder that hangs about 8 feet above ground, and they can jump and snag meat chunks off of it. We just got one small cat with the clouded leopard, but we need at least 1-2 more.
- Fossa: I didn't want to leave out Madagascar and since we have two lemurs already, I'd love a fossa to pair with them. It's a very unique animal that maybe some people don't know about, which I feel like is something Frontier likes to take into consideration. It would also fit quite nicely in a nocturnal house, alongside the fennec fox and serval.
- Veiled Chameleon: Chameleons are missing from PZ and I'd love to get one from an African dlc. There are a lot of options here, but since I think the go-to would be a tropical species from Madagascar, I decided to go against the grain and pick this desert dwelling species. They're also pretty neat looking.
- White rhino
- Black rhino (I don't think we need two in the same pack)
- African leopard (Big cat over small cat doesn't appeal to me)
- Secretary bird (Don't really care for this one in particular, it doesn't fit into shared habitats well imo, pretty niche. I think it's just riding ZT2 nostalgia)
- Nile crocodile (Don't think I need to elaborate here)
- Meerkat (They have to include it. No ifs ands or buts about it. So it's on here for that reason only)
- Red river hog (This wouldn't be on here if we didn't get the babirusa, but we did, so I don't feel the need for two pig species back to back)
- Any snake or frog species from Africa. Since we still have no chameleons or geckos for instance, I'd much rather get one of those.