Notice A notice on ARX (17/09)

Will Flanagan

Community Manager
Frontier
I've asked this multiple times but still haven't had an answer.
I have the same Frontier account for PC & PS4. Is Arx going to be assigned to the platform it's earned / purchased on, or is it assigned to the Frontier account?
The reason I ask is that I have a tonne of credit on PS4 that I'm unlikely to use. If I can buy on there & actually use the points on PC, then I'll buy some Arx.
Hi @MercutioLeonhart,

Although both your console and PC access can be assigned to the same email address, they are still in fact two separate accounts.

It's not possible for a single account to house licences for two different platforms, so instead, the PC account becomes the 'parent' account and your console license gets split onto a 'child' account, with a unique console identifier.

Where ARX are concerned, because they are two separate accounts (one on PC and one on PlayStation), you won’t be able to buy ARX on one and use them on another.

Cheers. Got to say though... FDev move their shop in-game and we end up having to begin using external tools to make most of it. What a time to be a gamer.
While I may have also created a spreadsheet to figure out the best package deal, including FX rates, when I hit the Store, I’m using a simple calculation: $1 = 1250 ARX. Buy the closest package without going over, and make up the difference with “bonus” ARX plus play time. Currently, that’s the $18.99 package, but that’s because I have about two years worth of paint jobs to buy. I’ll probably drop the same amount on my alt eventually, but that depends upon whether Frontier knocks it out of the park in next years expansion.

While I may have also created a spreadsheet to figure out the best package deal, including FX rates, when I hit the Store, I’m using a simple calculation: $1 = 1250 ARX. Buy the closest package without going over, and make up the difference with “bonus” ARX plus play time. Currently, that’s the $18.99 package, but that’s because I have about two years worth of paint jobs to buy. I’ll probably drop the same amount on my alt eventually, but that depends upon whether Frontier knocks it out of the park in next years expansion.
That approach is fine, but requires a lot more planning beforehand and stymies impulse purchases (so overall, a massive benefit for people like myself!).

What I used to do until now was:

1) Eyeing up a specific item, say a paint pack for 3.50 Euros.
2) Then thinking, well 3.50 Euros isn't that much, why not add one or two more items on top. As long as it's below 10 Euros.
3) Ended up with something like 11.50 Euros in the end

Now I have to plan ahead and decide what I want to buy beforehand - and I really dislike leftover balances in game account wallets, so will want to minimise those as much as possible. Which means I'll likely just decide on the 1-2 items I wanted and ignore the rest.

Thanks, but the dyscalculia fundamentally means that makes no sense to me either. Explanations don’t help because my brain doesn’t process mathematical concepts properly 💐
What about this? (I've mocked this up on a spare version I had lying around, so it's in dollars and the layout is a bit odd, but it should give you the idea.)

Last edited:
That approach is fine, but requires a lot more planning beforehand and stymies impulse purchases (so overall, a massive benefit for people like myself!).

What I used to do until now was:

1) Eyeing up a specific item, say a paint pack for 3.50 Euros.
2) Then thinking, well 3.50 Euros isn't that much, why not add one or two more items on top. As long as it's below 10 Euros.
3) Ended up with something like 11.50 Euros in the end

Now I have to plan ahead and decide what I want to buy beforehand - and I really dislike leftover balances in game account wallets, so will want to minimise those as much as possible. Which means I'll likely just decide on the 1-2 items I wanted and ignore the rest.
I guess I’m too used to working within a budget. Knowing I intend to spend X amount of dollars this year on cosmetics for this game, I can buy the best deal possible, and when I run out of ARX, I’ll know when to stop. ;)

The fact that I considered paint job packs way too expensive for the one paint I want helped ensure I have unspent money in that bucket today.

Cheers. Got to say though... FDev move their shop in-game and we end up having to begin using external tools to make most of it. What a time to be a gamer.
I don't think that is how it will work, when we have got used to the idea. Right now these tools are useful because they teach us how things work.

In a few weeks time, I'll be costing prospective purchases in Arx against what it means to my Arx balance and how often it makes me top up the balance.

I guess I’m too used to working within a budget. Knowing I intend to spend X amount of dollars this year on cosmetics for this game, I can buy the best deal possible, and when I run out of ARX, I’ll know when to stop. ;)

The fact that I considered paint job packs way too expensive for the one paint I want helped ensure I have unspent money in that bucket today.
I'm normally quite frugal when it comes to any purchases (game related or otherwise), but with Elite things are a little different (the Euros/hour of enjoyment ratio is still pretty decent though). It's the only game where I regularly spend money on microtransactions, but then I'm not really buying many other games at all - in the past, especially during my console PS2/3 days, I'd chew through half a dozen games per month (and sell them back to the shop at great losses), so Elite is my main money sink gaming wise now; that way I can still sort of justify spending so much on the store (plus the ridiculous number of hours I put into this game over the years, with seemingly no end in sight). Increased disposable income obviously helps too.

I'm pretty sure I'll still make cosmetics purchases going forward, but maybe for the better my shopping habits will change.

I might just get one paint job as you say, instead of a pack, and I might just save up on earned Arx points to obtain some of them. I've already bought most items that I would've wanted anyways at this stage, so unless something really cool shows up (as said before, I missed out on the Chrome and Wireframe ones so hope they'll come back) my spending will be slowing down regardless of the introduction of Arx.

I don't think that is how it will work, when we have got used to the idea. Right now these tools are useful because they teach us how things work.

In a few weeks time, I'll be costing prospective purchases in Arx against what it means to my Arx balance and how often it makes me top up the balance.
It was more a tongue in cheek comment, should've added a smiley really;) It's not that complicated, but as mentioned above not quite as straightforward as we were used to on PC at least.

It's likely that to achieve 400 Arx, you will have to play for around 20 hours. That's possible in a week -- it's under 3 hours a day, every day -- but most people do not play that much. However, as the spreadsheets above shows, to get a small ship kit, you have to play the game for 653 hours. Even if there was no weekly cap, that's 24 hours a day for an entire month. If you've got any sort of life at all, you're not going to get it for several months.

Decals we'll be able to get maybe even after each session. We'll beable to save up for paint because it will only take around 25 hours of play. In theory we can save up for anything. In practice anything even approaching a pound/euro/dollar in the store now is always going to be bought with cash unless we have iron resolve and passionate dedication to the game.

The whole point of Arx is to sell us stuff. Arx makes stuff cheaper, easier to get what we want and gives us some stuff for free, so it's good for us. But it doesn't work for Frontier if we never have to pay for anything.
Yes, it is certain that ARX was not created for a humanitarian purpose.

:p

I was thinking maybe "to act with empathy and understanding". Frontier have designed Arx so that we see advantage in it. It profits both us and them. They wouldn't have done that if they saw us as only cash cows.

Yes, it is certain that ARX was not created for a humanitarian purpose.

:p
Yup, that's for sure. And yet, I'm fine with it ...

I mean, it has been a while since I bought something to support the game (12 months+), so I'll probably grab some ARX early and wait to find something worth buying. As long as there is no outrageous pay-to-win involved, micro transactions are OK as far as I'm concerned. Even if this update in particular contains next to nothing I'll ever use.

I see it like this... forget about paint jobs, not much has changed there, you can still buy them, for roughly the same cost. If I want one I will drop a few bucks here and there. probably just the 5k packs for this kid though, once a month or something, I dont drop heaps of money on micros but every so often, its just like ' I want this, and i drank more $ in beer last night, so... ya! ' Like anything though, the more units you buy the cheaper the cost per unit. So FD has increased incentive to spend more, which is good for their bottom line. Whether you want to buy more or less or not at all, just save 400/week, is up to you.

But now with arx, all those little things like nameplates etc that you really only see if you use the camera to zoom in close up on your own ship for a photo... well every so often I'll be able to get something like that to add to my ship just because. For free (playtime). I would never have spent cash on those because they really aren't even visible to other ships or even myself for the most part. For no cost to me I get a little more flavor.

So, seems like a win to me.

Yup, that's for sure. And yet, I'm fine with it ...

I mean, it has been a while since I bought something to support the game (12 months+), so I'll probably grab some ARX early and wait to find something worth buying. As long as there is no outrageous pay-to-win involved, micro transactions are OK as far as I'm concerned. Even if this update in particular contains next to nothing I'll ever use.
For my part I will buy an ARX when I have found something to buy with the amount as close as possible to my purchase.

Top Bottom