Notice A notice on ARX (17/09)

It's likely that to achieve 400 Arx, you will have to play for around 20 hours. That's possible in a week -- it's under 3 hours a day, every day -- but most people do not play that much. However, as the spreadsheets above shows, to get a small ship kit, you have to play the game for 653 hours. Even if there was no weekly cap, that's 24 hours a day for an entire month. If you've got any sort of life at all, you're not going to get it for several months.

Decals we'll be able to get maybe even after each session. We'll beable to save up for paint because it will only take around 25 hours of play. In theory we can save up for anything. In practice anything even approaching a pound/euro/dollar in the store now is always going to be bought with cash unless we have iron resolve and passionate dedication to the game.

The whole point of Arx is to sell us stuff. Arx makes stuff cheaper, easier to get what we want and gives us some stuff for free, so it's good for us. But it doesn't work for Frontier if we never have to pay for anything.
that makes a lot of sense thank you!

If my math works it should be like 12-13 weeks (if you can fill up the 400 ARX per week limit) for a 3 Euro paintjob and only from in game earned ARX. It certainly wasn't meant that way but I bet some patient players (like me :p) will stop purchasing ARX with real money. But don't worry, I'm still in donation mood... ;)

I have a different perspective.
As a long standing PS4 CMDR I’m used to the concept of virtual currency packs (Frontier Points) so it all feels comfortable from that point of view. As a person though, I’m really struggling with the numbers.
I have dyscalculia (sort of numbers dyslexia) and have a hard time with numbers at the best of times. The large integers used for Arx are almost impossible for me to understand, particularly in relation to real-world currency. The real-world consequence of this for me and others with that learning disability is the potential for poorly managed spending. Given the character of the game I’m probably in something of a minority, as I am IRL (UK prevalence is at c.5%), but given the overall sales of ED and Horizons published recently there’s still quite a lot of players who may be similarly affected.

So when and were do we buy these Arx packs ? ( PC user )
I see the Frontier store has removed all the Elite game extras but no sign of anything relating to Arx yet.
( although the link on the front page still exists and just takes you to a 404 page ).

I have a different perspective.
As a long standing PS4 CMDR I’m used to the concept of virtual currency packs (Frontier Points) so it all feels comfortable from that point of view. As a person though, I’m really struggling with the numbers.
I have dyscalculia (sort of numbers dyslexia) and have a hard time with numbers at the best of times. The large integers used for Arx are almost impossible for me to understand, particularly in relation to real-world currency. The real-world consequence of this for me and others with that learning disability is the potential for poorly managed spending. Given the character of the game I’m probably in something of a minority, as I am IRL (UK prevalence is at c.5%), but given the overall sales of ED and Horizons published recently there’s still quite a lot of players who may be similarly affected.
You might find this useful. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/a-tool-to-work-out-how-to-buy-arx.521895/

I see the Frontier store has removed all the Elite game extras but no sign of anything relating to Arx yet.
( although the link on the front page still exists and just takes you to a 404 page ).
... maybe everything is down for the upgrade 🤔

Hello Commanders,

We wanted to give you a quick update on a few ARX notices ahead of the launch of the September Update tomorrow. Please find more details below:
  • Based on your feedback, we have made some amendments and reductions on ARX packs in certain currencies. Please find the amended prices below (highlighted in orange):
    • 5000 ARX - 2.99 GBP / 3.49 EUR / 3.99 USD
    • 8400 (+420 bonus) ARX - 4.99 GBP / 5.99 EUR / 6.99 USD (total ARX - 8,820)
    • 16,800 (+900 bonus) ARX - 9.59 GBP / 11.49 EUR / 12.99 USD (total ARX - 17,700)
    • 25,500 (+1,300 bonus) ARX - 12.99 GBP / 15.99 EUR / 18.99 USD (total ARX - 26,800)
    • 51,000 (+3,000 bonus) ARX - 24.99 GBP / 29.99 EUR / 37.99 USD (total ARX - 54,000)
    • 85,000 (+15,000 bonus) ARX - 44.99 GBP / 54.99 EUR / 59.99 USD (total ARX - 100,000)
      • Please note that prices for console ARX packs may vary market to market based on platform specifications, as mentioned here.

• PlayStation 4 Commanders in certain regions*:
    • ARX Packs in a number of regions will not be available at the launch of the September Update and will be gradually released throughout affected territories in the coming days.
    • Commanders in these regions will still be able to earn and spend free ARX earned in-game.
    • Any Frontier Points owned by Commanders will still be converted into ARX, and will be available for spending when the September Update launches.
*Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, UK, Ukraine

Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any questions regarding the above, please let us know here!
I've asked this multiple times but still haven't had an answer.
I have the same Frontier account for PC & PS4. Is Arx going to be assigned to the platform it's earned / purchased on, or is it assigned to the Frontier account?
The reason I ask is that I have a tonne of credit on PS4 that I'm unlikely to use. If I can buy on there & actually use the points on PC, then I'll buy some Arx.

As stated in OP post the UK PSN store has removed frontier points DLC with no ARX DLC to replace them yet...
So PS4 users have to wait as OP stated..

Frontier did announce that the store would be down from Monday until after the update today, perhaps it will be back online later today.

Here it is in a nice graph. I hope you're delirious with it; I had to learn to use gnuplot to get the x axis to scale.

View attachment 143250
That's a very useful graph, thanks for putting the effort in.

I'd be stupid to buy ARX in Euros now though. Not only are the GBP/EUR exchange rates inconsistent between the various ARX packages, but they're also more favourable towards GBP compared to current rates - I realise that companies can't adjust their prices constantly in line with FX fluctuations but this looks like a pretty raw deal for EUR customers.

For example, the top ARX pack is 54.99 EUR, which based on today's rate translates to about 48.70 GBP (not taking into account commissions/charges for sake of argument), as opposed to 44.99 GBP per Frontier's store. That's almost 4 GBP worse off (or shy of 10%).

As long as I can still make purchases in Sterling I guess I'll just do that. If not, then well... I won't at all then.

Either way, I think the times of impulse purchases for me are over - with this new pricing structure I will now have to plan ahead and calculate the best value for money option before going on a splurge. Oh well.

Last edited:
(not taking into account commissions/charges for sake of argument)
But Frontier have to pay those charges. They also have to put a little lee-way in there in case the FX rate moves. I'm sure you wouldn't want them changing their prices every week.

Although to be fair, that would be a great game: you buy Arx when the rate is good and Frontier keeps your money until you find something to buy with it.

I can't say I'm overjoyed with the prices. They removed the obvious errors but put in too much variation in the GBP offering and introduced flat spots in the other two. I quite liked the original GBP model. It had 10% at the beginning and end to incentivise bigger spending and was fairly flat in the middle. It was nice and simple. I don't think anyone was crying out to reduce the 100,000 Arx package; I certainly didn't read any such and to my mind nobody cares about it because only a tiny number of people will ever buy it. Yet to make that drop from 49.99 to 44.99 they moved the whole curve down and gave it more kinks.

But offering different prices to different countries has a long tradition. When Apple first introduced the Macintosh way back in the 80's, the price differential was so large that you could fly to the USA on Concord, buy the computer there, cruise back to the UK on the Queen Mary and still make a profit. There's plenty of cars on UK roads that were purchased on the continent because it was cheaper to buy there and ship them over than to buy in the UK.

Either way, I think the times of impulse purchases for me are over - with this new pricing structure I will now have to plan ahead and calculate the best value for money option before going on a splurge. Oh well.
This might help: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/a-tool-to-work-out-how-to-buy-arx.521895/

I'm sure the (maximum) 400 ARX/week isn't mean to at all be an income fit for buying all of the items on the store. It'll be a "first taste is free" marketing thing. Frontier fully expect you to be paying real money for ARX if you really want more than the tiniest dribble of cosmetics.

And remember, before this change you couldn't earn anything in-game towards pay-for cosmetics. It might be a dribble, but it's still a positive change to the status quo.
I get what you are saying but are they really giving us anything if the amount of the skins goes up by 30% .. so what was obtainable with 10$ real money is now costing 13$ real money, but that's ok because now you can earn a measly 400 arx a week in game?? seems like a sneaky play to increase prices to me.. If you think they are doing this to benefit us think again. For example..
FRONTIER: Lets tell them now they can change their paint and buy skins from the home screen "in case they are out in the black"
ME: yea sure that's why.. It's not so frontier can still make money off of the explorers who never dock up their ship for 5+months.

Literally every change equates to more money for them. I'm not hating or complaining, just pointing out that it's some pretty sneaky marketing

I get what you are saying but are they really giving us anything if the amount of the skins goes up by 30% .. so what was obtainable with 10$ real money is now costing 13$ real money, but that's ok because now you can earn a measly 400 arx a week in game?? seems like a sneaky play to increase prices to me.. If you think they are doing this to benefit us think again. For example..
FRONTIER: Lets tell them now they can change their paint and buy skins from the home screen "in case they are out in the black"
ME: yea sure that's why.. It's not so frontier can still make money off of the explorers who never dock up their ship for 5+months.

Literally every change equates to more money for them. I'm not hating or complaining, just pointing out that it's some pretty sneaky marketing
Basic ship paints are demonstrably and objectively cheaper. They used to be 50p, now they are 35p. That's what most people will buy the most of. The rest is more or less the same price in GBP at least. What was the Euro and Dollar cost of COVAS for example? It used to be £5, and it still is (to within 1%.)

But Frontier have to pay those charges. They also have to put a little lee-way in there in case the FX rate moves. I'm sure you wouldn't want them changing their prices every week.
I was more referring to the charges I have to pay (that my bank will charge me for forex transactions, those greedy vultures). But yeah I get the general point - I suppose it's more obvious here because they're showing the various currencies side by side, whereas normally I wouldn't really check these things if I shop for stuff as I would usually just get the EUR amount (depending on what shop you're visiting of course).

I can't say I'm overjoyed with the prices. They removed the obvious errors but put in too much variation in the GBP offering and introduced flat spots in the other two. I quite liked the original GBP model. It had 10% at the beginning and end to incentivise bigger spending and was fairly flat in the middle. It was nice and simple. I don't think anyone was crying out to reduce the 100,000 Arx package; I certainly didn't read any such and to my mind nobody cares about it because only a tiny number of people will ever buy it. Yet to make that drop from 49.99 to 44.99 they moved the whole curve down and gave it more kinks.
If I can take advantage of the current EUR/GBP exchange rate, I will do so I reckon, seems to be worth it. Still sad to see the PC way of just buying stuff from the store directly go, but it is what it is I guess.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/a-tool-to-work-out-how-to-buy-arx.521895/

Cheers. Got to say though... FDev move their shop in-game and we end up having to begin using external tools to make most of it. What a time to be a gamer.

Top Bottom