a new project: Elite slow

Good to know that. Is that really a risk though, or is that something that could theoretically happen but hardly ever does?
I have one data point -- it happened to me! I'm sure it's very unlikely at a random site, or at a random other position if you're surface prospecting. But I'll bet it happens often at the well-known farming exploit spots.

I have one data point -- it happened to me! I'm sure it's very unlikely at a random site, or at a random other position if you're surface prospecting. But I'll bet it happens often at the well-known farming exploit spots.

I would still like to be able to toggle the option on or off though. As I play in solo, I’m unlikely to be attacked at all. As Cohen says, makes a good reference point when in an SRV.

In my opinion, making money is far to easy in the game and taking away of the anticipation of saving up for a new ship.

So I'm thinking about restarting, and taking it slow by
  • avoiding illegal activities
  • avoiding all credit rushes like big money trit loops, only trade and missions
  • using only 10% of the money earned to buy new ships and equipment
The plan is to focus on exploration and passenger transport.
How long will it take to buy and equip a Dolphin you think?
I hadn't considered artificially ignoring some of my earnings. Would even give me full control of the earning nerf.

The problem is that it makes rebuys non-consequential.

I still wish Frontier would offer an optional start choice where our earnings are gimped by like 80-90% until we wipe save and choose normal again.

Yes, optional. All you guys who find everything being handed to you on a plate needn't worry about me.

Just let me have some choice because in the process of everyone else being given the choice to get their Anaconda hours after starting, I have had my choice to grind hard for a D-rated life support in my Freewinder taken away with no real alternative than to not play.

Frontier please. Just let us have the old grind back if we want it. There's got to be a way to nerf earnings for an account, surely?

I hadn't considered artificially ignoring some of my earnings. Would even give me full control of the earning nerf.

I still wish Frontier would offer an optional start choice where our earnings are gimped by like 80-90% until we wipe save and choose normal again.

Yes, optional. All you guys who find everything being handed to you on a plate needn't worry about me.

Just let me have some choice because in the process of everyone else being given the choice to get their Anaconda hours after starting, I have had my choice to grind hard for a D-rated life support in my Freewinder taken away with no real alternative than to not play.

Frontier please. Just let us have the old grind back if we want it. There's got to be a way to nerf earnings for an account, surely?

We really wouldn't need much to turn our billionaire commander into a struggling freelancer: factor to divide profit by. I'm using 10 atm. This one is the most important, but if we can get more . . .
  • factor to multiply cost of refueling and repairs by. I'm using 100 atm
  • cost of docking equals insurance cost and factor to multiply that by. I'm using 1 atm
  • daily: taxes, storage, daily expenses is related to the insurance cost and a factor to multiply that by. I'm using 10 atm
I've put that into a small spreadsheet and the effort is minimal.

Last edited:
I finally scraped enough money together to buy a Cobra Mk III. Hardly anything carries over from the Adder, so it is quite an investment, but what a difference it makes. This is a ship designed and build by professionals, for professionals. The quality of the materials used, the welding of the armor plating . . .
Yeah, it has armor plating.
Also gone, the tacky interior.

Cobra Mk III.jpg

nice eh

Upon leaving the dealership I was approached by 2 federal navy officers, if I could help them out with a little job. Not doing it for the money, since the docking costs outweigh the reward. Anyway, they liked me and I got recruited.

Got room for bigger cabins, so more choice in missions.

Last edited:
Just in case you dont know, Insurance cost is 5% of the value of the ship + modules + weapons. I think, but check, that engineered modules are worth more even so increase Ins costs. So this means you are paying:

Docking Charge - 5%
Daily - 50%? Have I read that right, factor of 10 on the Ins?

Fair play thats hard. Every 20 trips lose an entire ship value. I like it, I may just start a 2nd account after all....well not yet but maybe, I think Ill allow myself the luxury of sending the kids to a slightly cheaper college to get an 'A' FSD immediately though, the kids can get a part-time job

COBRA mkiii - sorry for shouting but its awesome! I had to go back to this and what a fantastic little ship, never get tired of boosting through the mail slot for the engine noise. I love it again, flown it round bubble for last 4 months. Id still pick the DBX for explo but this makes a great little bubble mini-bus (you know, the one that takes twice as long but goes round every village on the way) And I never had the risk of being cold in the cockpit even in a Brown Dwarf, that ship runs toasty for me all the time.

Yeah 50% of the ship value for taxes, insurance, cost for storage, living expenses. The idea is to limit the number of ships a commander can have.
Choosing is losing right?

The Cobra performed very well on her maiden voyage. Took a couple of packages and a federal navy mission, stacked that with two sightseeing missions. Found a system with two white dwarfs.

I'm practicing my stealthy docking techniques, as famous clients value their privacy.

Last edited:
What happened to only doing legal things?

Incidentally, I was thinking of starting a character that only did illegal things.

Of course there's the problem of whose law we're talking about.

I won't be doing anything illegal. I promise.
Privacy is not illegal is it?

privacy.jpg

I thinks somebody is trying to get to Triple Elite on the starter Sidewinder (they were going to upgrade it, but not switch to another ship). Tricky, as the target for Elite in Trading is 1Bcr profit!

That's not tricky, that's one boring hell of a grind.

I'll enjoy the Cobra for a couple of days, but after that continue with the passenger runs using the Dolphin?
Or perhaps side step to hauling cargo in the Type 6?

Last edited:
Just in case you dont know, Insurance cost is 5% of the value of the ship + modules + weapons. I think, but check, that engineered modules are worth more even so increase Ins costs. So this means you are paying:

Docking Charge - 5%
Daily - 50%? Have I read that right, factor of 10 on the Ins?

Fair play thats hard. Every 20 trips lose an entire ship value. I like it, I may just start a 2nd account after all....well not yet but maybe, I think Ill allow myself the luxury of sending the kids to a slightly cheaper college to get an 'A' FSD immediately though, the kids can get a part-time job

COBRA mkiii - sorry for shouting but its awesome! I had to go back to this and what a fantastic little ship, never get tired of boosting through the mail slot for the engine noise. I love it again, flown it round bubble for last 4 months. Id still pick the DBX for explo but this makes a great little bubble mini-bus (you know, the one that takes twice as long but goes round every village on the way) And I never had the risk of being cold in the cockpit even in a Brown Dwarf, that ship runs toasty for me all the time.

That daily 50% tax rate may be a bit high, especially when you save up for an expensive ship. We don't want to pay taxes on our savings after all.
So only 50%, or any percentage you like obviously, on the earnings of the day.
Didn't play? Only the docking cost then.

Last edited:

I figured out a way to do this with a few simple rules and have two alt accounts that I reset often to play different roles. No need to change the game or make a lot and dump the extra cash.

One of the main rules is to only accept missions where the payout is < 5% of your total assets. I have ranges set so you can only do 10K missions until you have 200K in assets, 25K missions until you have 500K in assets, etc. and I think I've got the balance right.

Currently doing a 100% PAX mission role right from the start (after doing the starter 10K mission). You can buy 2 class 2E cabins with < 11K and start finding prisoners and refugees who don't mind getting in your unshielded sidey. Only do the 10K mission rewards which you can find for most missions (max rep or influence instead of credits). You then have a reason to go get those 3 tons of consumer technology they demand for the trip, or hang at a conflict zone for a while or go to some other destination since those bonus payouts are often more than 10K or 25K.

I allow cashing in of explo data but only from jump-honking and only if related to a mission. No extra explo trips. You make anywhere from 50K - 250K for most short sightseeing trips which isn't too much money and feels right.

These rules make the game feel more authentic. I mean would anyone really offer you a 1M credit sightseeing mission when you have some basic ship with no experience? You gotta earn your Uber reputation!

By the time I get around 10M in assets, it starts to feel grindy and I'm ready to reset again to try something different.

I also did a pure combat role from the start where I never got help from cops while following the same mission reward restrictions. Had a blast.

I agree it's a lot more fun with you're struggling with fewer credits!

That's another way of looking at it.

I got the Type 6 yesterday and raised my relations with the factions in neighboring systems by trading.
And earning to money for a Dolphin. Plan on using that for data collecting expeditions starting tomorrow.

The best part about the Cobra Mk III, Type 6 and Dolphin is that they share a lot of parts.

Last edited:
Did some great trading in the Type 6, was able to make a bit of money, especially after the relations with the factions went up.
Did some jobs for the federal navy and got Sol permit.
Eventually however the pirates got wind of my routes and I started to get interdicted multiple times on each trip.

So traded the Type 6 in for a Dolphin and took on a data gathering expedition.

My maxed out material gathering Dolphin cost 17.5 million credits.
You can do the math given how much you are currently making.

Oh mine isn't nearly that expensive, everything D-rated except the FSD.

dolphin .jpg

my Fokker Friendship: the precious

found a metal rich planet with features and got some arsenic.

Last edited:
I'm doing a version of this? I'm trying not to increase my trading and combat ranking. Discovery only. Starting out at least has taken a lot longer than usual. Never spend do much time in the Sidewinder either. The Pilot Federation District was challenging because forbade myself use of the srv for that area, like someone who didn't purchase Horizons.

Started with a simple slow system, but it grew more and more complex as I tried to balance it over the different ships.
It is possible to use a realistic business system, with docking and refueling costs, but that should be done on an external website. So if you're volunteering . . . :unsure:
The accounting took more time, so I threw it all overboard. Now I will only spend 10% of the money in my account minus 20 times the insurance cost of my ships, Cobra Mk III and Dolphin atm.
Finished my first expedition, it was only 1000 ly, and sneaked the famous explorer back in. Brought back 35 MCr exploration data.

biological.jpg

Now off to a material trader, then onward to Sol.

Гo commanders

Last edited:
Top Bottom