15 Questions to Fdev

Please could you provide some information/answers to the questions below:

1. When I am on a 0.4g world or less, I can jump around like I have super powers, yet when I run it is like I am on a 1g world? (Moon landing videos do not show astronauts running around like they are on Earth, they hop and skip due to the low gravity)
  2. When on a world that has "Dangerously low temperatures" and kills me within seconds once my suit runs out of power, when vent the atmosphere to a building, the NPC's just put masks on and walk around like its nice and balmy in their trousers and shirts, are they superhuman or something?
  3. In the recent Obsidian Ant video, he shows footage of the radar when he is in combat, NPC's seem to appear from nowhere, like they are "Spawning" in because the alarms are going off, can you explain why this is happening? Link to Vid- Obsidian Ant - Stealth needs fixing
  4. Why do ALL NPC's in a settlment know where we are when one is alerted, even when we take cover or run out of visual range, they always seem to know exactly where we are and never stop - As OA put it, they go into terminator mode. This makes no sense
  5. If i stealth kill (overcharge tool) an NPC with no other NPC's in sight, once they find the body, how do they know I was the killer?
  6. If i successfully stealth clone someones authorisation level and then get scanned, how does the NPC instantly know I have commited a crime - Its meant to be a stealth action, whats the point in doing it if I can be detected by a simple scan?
  7. If i steal an item from a locker and nobody is around, how does an NPC know the item is stolen when they scan me, do all items have some sort of magical biometric ID on them?
  8. Why is the left alt radial menu so bad, I mean, have you tried using it with a mouse?
  9. Why does fire kill me from the other side of a wall? and Why do I die so fast to fire since my suit can handle "Extreme temperatures" for fairly long periods?
  10. How does the bartender work, I mean, I have no clue about any of those menu's or items, it feels like a real mess!
  11. Why is there no ability to chat in the Stations when they are literally communal areas?
  12. Why can't I sit in chairs?
  13. Why cant I buy a drink from the bartender?
  14. Why do you insist I get an elevator to my ship, run to it and then teleport me inside - Why not just go striaght from the elevator to the ship and ruin my expectations there instead of when I have ran all the way to the ship?
  15. Why is the cockpit of the adder so dark and why do the extra chairs have no textures (the floor is also stretched weirdly)?

Thank you, I eagerly await your stone cold silence on these matters.

I, too, noticed the cyberpunk 2077 cop like behavior.
Was exploring an empty agriculture center and pressed a button that I wasn't clear what it did (I thought maybe it just raised an antenna or something). Instead it started an alarm and a stream of guards appeared and walked through the door.

Thank you, I eagerly await your stone cold silence on these matters.
  1. When I am on a 0.4g world or less, I can jump around like I have super powers, yet when I run it is like I am on a 1g world? (Moon landing videos do not show astronauts running around like they are on Earth, they hop and skip due to the low gravity) It's a game, not a SIM
  2. When on a world that has "Dangerously low temperatures" and kills me within seconds once my suit runs out of power, when vent the atmosphere to a building, the NPC's just put masks on and walk around like its nice and balmy in their trousers and shirts, are they superhuman or something? GOOD POINT
  3. In the recent Obsidian Ant video, he shows footage of the radar when he is in combat, NPC's seem to appear from nowhere, like they are "Spawning" in because the alarms are going off, can you explain why this is happening? Link to Vid- Obsidian Ant - Stealth needs fixing GOOD POINT
  4. Why do ALL NPC's in a settlment know where we are when one is alerted, even when we take cover or run out of visual range, they always seem to know exactly where we are and never stop - As OA put it, they go into terminator mode. This makes no sense GOOD POINT
  5. If i stealth kill (overcharge tool) an NPC with no other NPC's in sight, once they find the body, how do they know I was the killer? VERY GOOD POINT
  6. If i successfully stealth clone someones authorisation level and then get scanned, how does the NPC instantly know I have commited a crime - Its meant to be a stealth action, whats the point in doing it if I can be detected by a simple scan? GOOD POINT
  7. If i steal an item from a locker and nobody is around, how does an NPC know the item is stolen when they scan me, do all items have some sort of magical biometric ID on them? GOOD POINT
  8. Why is the left alt radial menu so bad, I mean, have you tried using it with a mouse? EXTREMLY GOOD POINT
  9. Why does fire kill me from the other side of a wall? and Why do I die so fast to fire since my suit can handle "Extreme temperatures" for fairly long periods? GOOD POINT
  10. How does the bartender work, I mean, I have no clue about any of those menu's or items, it feels like a real mess! IT IS, GOOD POINT
  11. Why is there no ability to chat in the Stations when they are literally communal areas? GOOD POINT
  12. Why can't I sit in chairs? GOOD POINT
  13. Why cant I buy a drink from the bartender? VERY GOOD POINT
  14. Why do you insist I get an elevator to my ship, run to it and then teleport me inside - Why not just go striaght from the elevator to the ship and ruin my expectations there instead of when I have ran all the way to the ship? COULD BE DONE BETTER GOOD POINT
  15. Why is the cockpit of the adder so dark and why do the extra chairs have no textures (the floor is also stretched weirdly)? WOULD LIKE TO KNOW TOO

1. When I am on a 0.4g world or less, I can jump around like I have super powers, yet when I run it is like I am on a 1g world? (Moon landing videos do not show astronauts running around like they are on Earth, they hop and skip due to the low gravity) It's a game, not a SIM
It's a game that provides a wide variety of gravities, and simulates some of the movement effects. Why would you not expect the game to simulate more of them?

It's a game that provides a wide variety of gravities, and simulates some of the movement effects. Why would you not expect the game to simulate more of them?
Because it would ruin the gameplay, what is impacted is how high you can jump and how fast you lose stamina.

Probably the same reason why ships have a top speed, it wasn't a good or fun experience.
It wasn't? What makes you think that? Sounds like a great idea to have more than just jump range affected by gravity, even if it is just a visual difference to the walk and run animations. Although I'm told you can't run as far in high g, so there is that already.

1. When I am on a 0.4g world or less, I can jump around like I have super powers, yet when I run it is like I am on a 1g world? (Moon landing videos do not show astronauts running around like they are on Earth, they hop and skip due to the low gravity)
My understanding is that this was more due to the lack of freedom of movement associated with the spacesuits worn by the astronauts than the low gravity. If I remember something I heard in a documentary not so long ago correctly, the astronauts simply found it easier to skip-jump than to actually walk properly.

On high-G worlds we'd run slower. On low-G worlds our feet wouldn't touch the ground. If you have weighted boots you lose the fun of leaping around like Spider-man.

I suppose if you have some sort of thrusters-and-exoskeleton thing you could make all these things practical, but if you've got a device that's trying to counteract the effects of gravity there's maybe an argument to just not bother with the effects of gravity.

Personally, I'd maybe like a slightly more weighed-down gait for high-G worlds (have we actually seen one of these yet?) and a slightly bouncier feel for low-G, but probably in a subtle way rather than anything too noticeable.

It wasn't? What makes you think that? Sounds like a great idea to have more than just jump range affected by gravity, even if it is just a visual difference to the walk and run animations. Although I'm told you can't run as far in high g, so there is that already.
All I need to do is just use my imagination to see how stupid it would look and how slow it would be. Nah, while I like things reasonably realistic, I don't want them so realistic that it becomes unenjoyable.

I can disagree partially on question 4. From what I can see, npcs will head to a location where a fight is happening and will follow you to a certain point only if they have visibility to you. And, depending on where you are, not all of them get alerted (specifically speaking about scavengers). You can easily try this out on a scavenger hunt mission. Jump on a high roof and fire the rocket launcher on a distant part of the settlement. All the nearby npcs will head there, walk a bit, then will stay in place and turn in every direction every few seconds in an attempt to spot you and, if they don't see you, will give up and resume patrolling with their shields down. On low g planets is actually very easy to lose enemies - just parkour on the rooftops and find one with no path to, squat for 2-3 minutes and the enemies will give up. Works like a charm every time.

I can disagree partially on question 4. From what I can see, npcs will head to a location where a fight is happening and will follow you to a certain point only if they have visibility to you. And, depending on where you are, not all of them get alerted (specifically speaking about scavengers). You can easily try this out on a scavenger hunt mission. Jump on a high roof and fire the rocket launcher on a distant part of the settlement. All the nearby npcs will head there, walk a bit, then will stay in place and turn in every direction every few seconds in an attempt to spot you and, if they don't see you, will give up and resume patrolling with their shields down. On low g planets is actually very easy to lose enemies - just parkour on the rooftops and find one with no path to, squat for 2-3 minutes and the enemies will give up. Works like a charm every time.
Yeah, NPCs definitely give up hunting you after a while and verbally announce when they are doing so. Presumably, if one NPC can see you, they will relay that info to the other NPCs. In fact, you can hear them communicating your last seen position.

I would also assume that they can hear your movements, especially if you're running and not crouch walking. That said, FDev probably needs to tone down NPC senses a little bit.

Sounds like OA hasn't done a great job at testing this 🙄

Last edited:
I would like to extend and ask, why is there no ability to directly transfer the own voice around the own avatar?
This would be so much more relevant now with the pvp CZ.. imagine trying to tell someone to cover you

Yeah, NPCs definitely give up hunting you after a while and verbally announce when they are doing so. Presumably, if one NPC can see you, they will relay that info to the other NPCs. In fact, you can hear them communicating your last seen position.

I would also assume that they can hear your movements, especially if you're running and not crouch walking. That said, FDev probably needs to tone down NPC senses a little bit.

Sounds like OA hasn't done a great job at testing this 🙄
I was about to chip in that the NPC's certainly do give up searching once they do not have 'eyes on' - which permits sneaky kills when they drop shields as the walk away - not that me and my rocket laucher could ever be that treacherous...

The only exception I have found was in a military stockade where they were incredibly good at 'follow the leader', and very fast and accurate in shooting at me!

I think the 'influencers' & 'content creators' may be less than unbiased in their presentations, after all, clicks are salaried... (the few videos I have on youtube are all just game, no commentary, no opinions - but also no money...)

Top Bottom